Miley Cyrus: The Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

MTV aired a documentary staring Miley Cyrus on October 2nd that may be what the people needed to see. Miley opened the documentary saying, “I don’t apologize for anything.” The hour long movie allowed viewers to get an inside look on Miley’s controversial year as she “transitioned” from the Miley we used to know to the spikey, blonde and wild girl we see today.  Miley herself won’t call it a transition, but a “Movement.” She says in the movie, “Every decision goes into a bigger plan…” she says of her recent choices. “For me, the movement has to be bigger than just a record. For me, a movement represents like taking over the world.”

MTV takes us through the making of her soon-to-be released album, Bangerz, and her decision to stray away from acting and focus on her music career. Miley spent three months living in Philadelphia while working on her album, which she said was “the best time of my life.” Philly was a relaxing experience for Miley because she was finally out of focus and was able to go incognito for a little while. It was here that she made the decision to chop off her hair and bleach it; she was ready to start a new chapter of her life and move on from the past.

Cyrus wrapped up the short movie by focusing on her VMA performance. She made it clear to people that she was a “strategic hot mess,” everything she did in her performance was planned. She wanted to be funny, not sexy, saying that if she wanted to be sexy she wouldn’t be dressed up in a bear costume. Having trouble understanding the ways of Miley? Check out “Miley: The Movement” here and listen to her side of the story.

“We’re in 2013. I live in America where we’re the land of the free, and I feel like if you can’t express yourself, you’re not very free.” –Miley Cyrus

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.