Met Gala Fashion Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Everyone knows that the first Monday in May is fashion’s most celebrated event – the Met Gala!  

For those of you who live under a rock and don’t know what the Met Gala is, it’s essentially a day for rich people to hang out in NYC’s swankiest art gala and try on some haute couture.  Officially, it is a fundraising event known as the Costume Institute Gala to riase money for the Metropolitan Mueseum of Art’s Costume Institute.  There is a theme each year to highlight the Costume Institute’s current showcase, with the 2016 theme being “Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology”.  Starlets are left to interpret as they wish, with some celebs hitting the nail on the head, and others looking more like a futuristic faux pas.  We categorized some highlights to recap the night.  

YAS

These stars pulled off inovative looks within the theme.  We salute you.

Jourdan Dunn

Kate Hudson

Slow clap for our favorite non-metallic (finally) dress of the night.

Lady Gaga

Rita Ora

Emma Watson

Okay, so we’re not sure if this is actually thematic, but we really liked it.  And where else can you get away with a train like that?

Poppy Delevigne

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West

We have no idea what Manus x Machina really means, but fashion’s iconic couple makes it look easy.  

Nicole Kidman

OBSESSED.

Kate Bosworth

Kristen Stewart

Robert Pattinson and FKA Twigs

Naomi Campbell

Florence Welch

Yes, that’s a wolf on her back.  Don’t even try to hate on this.

*Yawn*

Some of these people came close, but this is the Met Gala.  Do more.  

Suzy Menkes

What?????

Willow & Jaden Smith

They’re just really cool.

Emma Stone

Oh, are you late for the Renaissance fair?

Kylie Jenner

I think we are just a little jealous because she’s not even excited to be wearing a dress that costs more than our tuition. 

Hailee Steinfeld

Taylor Swift

As a chairwoman this year, Taylor had all eyes on her.  Unfortunately, she tried WAY too hard.  From head to waist she looks like an edgy mermaid, and we love it.  But the ruffle skirt and strappy heels make her look like a stripper who shops at Limited Too.

Freida Pinto

What Were They Thinking?

We have no idea.

Solange Knowles

Kris Jenner

Selena Gomez

Katie Holmes

Coachella was, like, two weeks ago.

Lupita Nyong’o

Not all that glitters is gold, right?

Lily-Rose Depp

If there was a Backstreet Boy lurking behind her, we would bet ouir very last dollar that this was from the 1999 MTV Music Video Awards.

Demi Lovato

Haim Sisters

Tory Burch

Sarah Jessica Parker

Two words: Victorian pirate.

Honorary Mentions:

These girls looked great, but this is a costume party, and the one time a year you should go a little wild.

Karolina Kurkova

Emily Ratajkowski

The shoes!  The silk!

Zendaya

If the theme was 70s Egyptian, she would be our winner.

Jessica Chastain

She makes hoop skirts look cool.

Zoey Deutch

Everything about this is art and we are obsessed.  But it is more “romantic garden party” than “rise of the machines” (plus her undergarments DO resemble a diaper).

Julie Macklowe

Oh, this is awful.  But she tried.  She reeeeaaaalllly tried.

Anna Wintour

We decided to end with the queen herself because we’re pretty sure the fashion gods would smite us without mentioning Anna Wintour.

The takeaway: the 90s are here, grown women will never stop loving sparkles, and it always better to be overdressed than underwhelming.