Men Test Out Male Birth Control Pills

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Okay ladies, it’s time to start busting some balls when it comes to male birth control.

We recently saw this video on Facebook and were floored by what we watched.

Basically, there were studies being conducted for a male birth control shot option to become available, but the study was halted because many men dropped out due to the side effects of the birth control.

Now it should be noted that some of the men experienced infertility, which really sucks.  But, other men have dropped out of studies due to the other side effects which included muscle pain, depression, and increased libido.

We’re confused. These men dropped out of a study that would make strides toward gender equality because they experienced the same side effects that most women experience when on birth control?

In college, even if you’re not on birth control, it is not uncommon for a male sexual partner to ask if you are. We want to be able to say, “Are you?” We want men to share the responsibility of taking a pill every single day, or having to get a shot in order to make the possibility of an unwanted pregnancy as miniscule as possible.

It takes two people to make a baby, so why should only one of those people experience hormone imbalances and side effects to lessen the chance of making a baby?

Muscle pain? We’ve all had it. Crying for no reason? We’ve all done it. We mess with our hormones, we deal with the consequences. But that’s the price we pay to avoid an unwanted pregnancy.

There should be no double standard when it comes to birth control. Start paying up, dudes.