Making Social Media Business Appropriate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

In today’s world, employers are looking at more than just your interview skills and your resume – they’re also checking out your social media pages before they hire you. Employers want to see if you’re as good in the real world as you are on paper. That being said, it is so important to make sure your social media pages convey the real you, and don’t prevent you from getting that job offer even if your credentials are impeccable. It’s easy to think that simply turning on privacy settings will deter a curious employer, but many businesses have found ways aroudn that. So before you upload an album of pictures from last weekend’s frat party, read over these dos and don’ts to make sure that you’re sending the right message about yourself.

DON’T post inappropriate photos.

This should be common sense, but when you’re using your profile picture to show all your friends how much fun you had last weekend, you often forget who else may be looking at your photos. Employers have stated that they’ve denied people jobs because their photos were inappropriate or provocative. Avoid sending the wrong first impression by deleting any photos that involve drinking, drug use, or anything you wouldn’t want your Grandmother to see.

DO keep personal matters personal.

Employers read your wall posts, your status updates, and your tweets. Avoid badmouthing a current or past employer, your professor, or airing your personal relationship troubles to the world. Employers find it unsettling to see you posting terrible things about coworkers or bosses because it’s unprofessional and not something a responsible employee would do. Save yourself the trouble and leave work problems at work. Also – foul language is always, always, ALWAYS a no-no. Leave the cuss words to the truck drivers, not talented, professional young women!

DON’T type like you’re in middle school.

~~*TaLkiiN LyK dizZ maY lUk KeWl 2 ur FrEnDs (mayB) bUt 2 an eMpLoyeR, u lUk dUMb*~~ Show off your intelligence and your communication skills with proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. If not for your employers’ sake, do it for the rest of your friends. We’re in college, people, we should know these basic rules by now! Employers want to see that you can communicate intelligently and professionally, so don’t send the wrong image just by the way you write.

DO capitalize on your strengths.

Did you just win an award or do something worth noting? Use your social media pages to bring your resume to life. Show off the award you won for your business project, put up some pictures from your semester abroad, and show employers that your resume, as impressive as it is, is actually true. They’ll be impressed by your talents and skills as well as the subtle way you can show off your accomplishments without looking conceited.

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.