This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Although Valentine’s Day has passed, it is never too late or a bad time to bring some lingerie into the bedroom. Whether it is to spice things up, for a special occasion, or just to see that smile on your man’s face – lingerie is always a plus. But, before you head to the mall to take your pick, there are a few basics you should know. For starters, a nice outfit from Victoria’s Secret is probably going to cost you anywhere from $35 dollars to as high as $200 for a full outfit. But don’t worry, you don’t need $200 to get a great outfit; the average purchase is around $60. Alternative options such as Fredrick’s of Hollywood or Yandy offer great options, just slightly cheaper material that may not make it through multiple wears. The second thing to consider is the various types of lingerie the stores offer. To help you better understand the look you might want before going into the store and having to waste hours trying on everything imaginable, we will give you a breakdown of the main lingerie styles. Remember, the most important accessory for your lingerie is a condom! Always use protection, ladies.

*All of the styles and images are from Victoria’s Secret – our personal favorite

Babydolls: Babydolls offer a cute and flirty option for lingerie. They are usually fitted around the boobs, with a loose / flare fit at the bottom. Usually the bottom half will run to cover at least half, if not your whole butt. If you aren’t 100% confident showing your stomach these are a great option, but they also have styles that have a slit down the center, exposing your belly. This style does not offer a whole lot of support for your breasts though. Look for a halter style that you can tie up tight to help give you extra cleavage (if you struggle in that region). We think this is a great option for first time lingerie users because it is kind of a sexy dress or night gown that allows you to feel sexy without being too uncomfortable.

Slips: Slips are the tighter alternative to a babydoll. While they still lack support in the boob region, these (usually) silky slips let you show off all your curves. While they aren’t as likely to have a halter option, the slips come in an extreme variety, some with little peeps of exposure and some that are just simply nice to touch. These are another great option for people wishing to hide their stomachs, but they offer such a range of exposures that they can be the perfect fit for anyone. One thing to keep in mind is that they can be a little long for short people!

Teddies: Teddies are “your sexy one piece meats lace.” Usually in a bodysuit with a thong backside, teddies provide lace to cover just the necessities. While not all teddies come in this style, it is extremely popular to see a deep (DEEP) V teddie with an open back that just offers a thong for the backside. Talk about sexy. Victoria’s Secret also offers a bustier/teddie mix, which allows for more support with a bra type top and a teddies style bottom and back. Only problem with a teddie, it covers “down there.” So whether it comes off completely or gets pushed to the side, this style is great for when you are feeling bold.

Garter Slips/Garters: If you’re going more for the look above, and trying to wear the bear minimum with some thigh highs, then this is absolutely the way to go. The first step is getting a sexy bra and panty set. If you’re going all out, definitely consider one of Victoria’s Secrets amazing push up bras, usually found in the back section of the store. Once you have that set, head to the garter section. There are garter belts like the one shown above, or a garter that is a little larger and covers your stomach (kind of sucks it in). There is lace, simple black, colored, literally anything your heart desires. The best part about a garter is you can keep the thigh highs and garter on and just remove your panties when you’re ready for business.

Corsets & Bustiers: Trying to suck squeeze everything in and push those puppies out to expose some real cleavage? Corsets and bustiers do just that. Corsets, which tie up the back to the tightness of your liking are an amazing look and give your chest a look they have never experienced. Bustiers are a bra top that can be attached to a tight mesh, corset, or mix. This is really a mix of all the looks above – but its sure to be a jaw dropper. It really takes your body’s natural curves and accentuates. One thing to remember about these styles it they can be a little difficult to move in sometimes, especially if you aren’t used to them.

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.