A Letter to My Long Distance Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

To my best friend,

So we left for college and you’re across the country now.

Things are pretty different not being able to see you every day. We might think we’re used to it, but it really hasn’t gotten that much easier. Being friends with someone for almost 10 years is something that is so hard to replace. Don’t think that means I want to replace you; I never could. We were there for each other through everything in the awkward years, through high school and through the tough times where we actually had to decide on a college and start to think about where we would be spending the next four years. You chose a school on the West Coast and I chose a school in New England. We knew this was pretty far but we never thought about us actually leaving and starting the next chapter of our lives.

I’m going to admit it, it’s been hard not having my best friend with me every day. You’re the closest thing I’ve ever had to a sister. I moved to a completely new place where I knew no one and didn’t have my best friend with me anymore. My new friends here all know about you; I hope your new friends know about me too. Thank god we live in a time that has so much technology available for us to keep in touch. Seriously shout out to Snapchat and FaceTime so we can still see each other every day if we want to. I’ll never turn down FaceTiming with you for five hours straight about things that are so unimportant, but I need to someone tell it to. That someone will always be you, so thanks for listening. That takes a lot of patience, so know that I will always do the same for you. Shout out to texting so we can still tell each other everything and talk about the most mundane details of our lives, like what we ate for dinner that night (I’ll always care). Shout out to Instagram, Twitter and Facebook so we can stalk each other’s new lives and keep up to date with all the happenings at each other’s colleges. Without these things I seriously don’t know where I would be. I am so glad you are always just a text away and that our phones basically don’t stop going off all day because we never stop texting.

The fact that we are across the country from each other doesn’t mean that we have to stop talking (we actually pretty much are never not talking, except when we’re asleep). Sorry if I annoy you by constantly texting you because I forget you’re sleeping and I’m awake because of our time difference. This time difference is another thing we never took into account when we decided to go to colleges across the country. Sometimes it actually works in my favor- when I’m still awake at 3am and upset about something, I always know you’ll be awake to make everything better. I’m so grateful for you and the friendship that we have maintained despite the distance.

Everyone complains about having a long distance boyfriend, but having a long distance best friend might actually be even worse. We’ve made it work, though. Every time we see each other things pick up exactly where they left off, despite how long we have been apart. Throughout all of the things that have changed over the years, our friendship has been one of the few constants in my life.

It really is true what they say: distance means so little when someone means so much.

Love you long time,

Your Best Friend

Flora is a graduate from Bryant University with a major in communication. She moved to Boston after graduating and somehow is already 2 years post-grad. By day, she is a marketing associate but when she's not at the office she loves trying new foods, hunting for the latest trends, exploring the city, going to spin classes, and finding as many cute dogs to pet as possible! Follow her on Instagram @lifeisgoodman