Kendall vs. the Dance World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Media everywhere is very familiar with the Kardashian family. Every member, starting with the beloved Kim, has had her claim to fame. For Kim it was dating any guy that had money, for Khloe it was her huge butt and marriage to Lamar Odem, for Kourtney it was her sarcasm and super cute kids, for Kylie it was her clothing line with PacSun, her dramatic increase in lip size and now, her overpriced lip kits, and finally, for Kendall it has been a new found love for modelling.  Don’t get us wrong, she looks great, but let’s talk about this controversial video that’s taken the internet by storm for no apparent reason.

Kendall Jenner and her sister Kylie have been all over the place recently, between Kylie’s birthday weekend and Kendall’s supposed “bought modeling career.” It’s not surprising to see Kendall in a video by Vogue. However, with the start of this video being Kendall prancing around in a leotard and tights, there was sure to be some negative up rise from the dance community. She goes on to say how she had to grow up fast and that she loved being a kid, which is pretty irrelevant compared to what’s going on in the background. This video would have been much more meaningful (and would probably make a hell of a lot more sense) if instead of being in a room with a ballet barre, she was outside at a playground, drawing, doing a puzzle, or playing with her nieces and nephews. If she wants to be a kid again, why not show it? She then says she has a weird sense of humor… okay? How do we know that? Again Kendall, what does this have to do with dancing? Then she says she loves anything with a beat – finally the only comment that has to do with dancing.

Not only did she offend the community of dancers who have spent their entire lives training, but she also made herself look foolish. In dance terms she was “ginching” which basically means she was flexing her ankles which prevented her from being on the tips of her toes. Not to mention her knees were bent and her feet were turned in, making her look about as elegant as eating ice cream with chop sticks. We stand with you dancers; we’re confused and a little peeved.  So, dear Kendall, what were you thinking?