Introducing iOS 7

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Hurry, download free update for IOS7 today!  The software is debuting Wednesday, September 18, 2013.  The new sleek design of the home screen, more photo options, and faster speed are a few of the updates you will notice with this new software.  If you haven’t gotten it yet, head to Settings > General > Software Update and grab it! 

The Design:

The IOS7 creates a more simpler, useful and visually friendly layout.   Its pastel color scheme, flattened icons, and more 3D features (the notebook app looks like a real piece of paper!) create a whole new look for your iPhone.  

The Features:

App use has been made even easier, with more simple layouts.  Speed has also increased with the iOS 7, making downloading speeds, and other uses much faster! 

Control Center: A new time-saving control center slides up from the bottom of the screen for easy access to basic settings such as brightness and Airplane Mode. It has shortcuts for the flashlight, timer, calculator and camera.

Notifcation Center: An updated notification center now shows a summary of what you have in store for the day and details on the weather and your commute.

Camera: The camera adds a square-photo option and new filters, while the photos app drops the map view and sorts your images into events by date and location.

AirDrop: It adds AirDrop, a feature for people who use iCloud that makes it easier to move photos and files between computers and mobile devices.

Siri: The Siri voice-search tool adds an option for male voice, defaults to Bing for Web searches and pulls in results from Twitter and Wikipedia.

New Phones…or other devices?

The iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c are scheduled to be released for pre-order on September 20th.  However, there are a generation of iPhones and iPads which may or may not be eligible for the new update.  Which ones?  Keep reading!

• iPhone (original): No
  • iPhone 3G: No
  • iPhone 3GS: No
  • iPhone 4: Yes. Does not include AirDrop, Siri or camera filters (you can add filters later in the photos app).
  • iPhone 4S: Yes. No AirDrop.
  • iPhone 5: Yes. Includes all new iOS 7 features.
  • iPod Touch: Only the 5th-generation iPod Touch can upgrade but will include all new iOS 7 features.
  • iPad (original): No
  • iPad 2: Yes. No AirDrop, Siri, camera filters or square format, or Photos app filters.
  • iPad 3rd generation: Yes. No AirDrop or camera filters.
  • iPad 4th generation: Yes
  • iPad Mini: Yes

Tips for Downloading
Make sure you BACK-UP your phone!  iCloud has great storage for all your favorite and needed stuff!  And for a faster update, plug your phone into your computer to ensure great internet speed.  Running it over WiFi should be okay but the computer is definitely the better option to make sure everything runs smoothly.
Devon is a senior at Bryant University.  As a Marketing and Communications major, Her Campus is everything that Devon loves. Her hometown of Rutland, Vermont is where she was born and raised.  She attended Philadelphia University for her freshmen year of college as a Fashion Industry Management major, but discovered her true passion was the business aspect of the fashio industry, leading her to transfer to a nationally ranked business school, Bryant University.  Devon is the co-president of the Her Campus chapter at Bryant and is also a Research Assistant in the school's Office of Planning and Institutional Research.  You will see Devon on campus organizing HC events, running around finishing projects, or hanging out with her friends.  Devon's passions include: writing, dance, the ocean, and spending time with the people she loves.