This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

The most important thing about being able to land an internship that you want is to start applying early. If you just started your fall semester, it is not too early to start applying for summer internships! It is proven that the earlier you start doing your research, the happier you will be with the outcome of the interview process.

As for advice, here are a few tips you should all be following:

Research – Do a Google search of all the different types of internship opportunities there are in your field of interest. This can take hours, so it is important to get a head start. When you have some free time, apply to any and all internships just to get that first step in the door.

Take advantage of your university’s job board – Most likely your school has a website where the students can look up possible jobs or internships. Take advantage of this! Employers specifically use these websites to recruit because they know your school’s accreditation. Learn how to use the job website your freshmen or sophomore year and ask as many questions as possible to your career center.

Get your resume critiqued- Your resume should be critiqued at least five different times by five different people. It is so beneficial to get a different perspective on what you should have on your resume by people who have been in your position, or have hired students before. Professors are great for this, along with current or past bosses, co-workers, your school’s career center, etc. The more opinions, the better.

Be prepared for your interview– Go to the company website and do your research. Find out the latest news on the company, who the CEO is, what they stand for, etc. Request your recruiter on LinkedIn if possible, so they know that you are interested and they can put a face to your name.

Network – The rumors are true; it’s not what you know, it’s who you know. Getting your first internship is not always easy, sometimes you need to use the resources you have been given. Talk to your parents, your parents’ friends, your professors, and the people you babysit for, ANYONE! If you have formed a good relationship with someone, they are more than likely to pass your name on for an internship. Take advantage of the fact that your parents know a lot of people who all have full time jobs!