The ICCA Experience: On and Off the Stage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Max Harz is a member of Bryant’s a Capella group, The Bottom Line, and here is what he had to say about the ICCA experience: 

Our group left early in the morning, and we arrived at Tufts so early. I was happy we did leave early, though, because we had so much extra time to relax and bond before we hit the stage. Our group also picked the first group who was going to preform, so we had a lot of time to get ready for the show after sound check, and then again before the awards ceremony.

Our group, The Bottom Line, was there to compete, but also wanted to achieve a load of other things—mostly we wanted to make an impression. This was our first time competing at the International Championship of Collegiate a Capella, but it is more commonly known as the ICCA. Therefore, we wanted to make it known that we were a force to be reckoned with, since it was our first time competing. Our spot in the tournament next year is not guaranteed, so we just wanted to prove that they should let us come back next year. Our final goal was to also prove that Bryant University knows more than just business.

The competition was at Tufts University in Boston, so it was not that far away which was convenient. The theater was a similar size and feel that was comparable to Janikies here at Bryant University.

In the end, we did not win but we did not really care. All of us had so much fun and were so proud of the group for making it to the ICCA Quarterfinals. We will forever be the first Bottom Line group to ever compete at the ICCA.

This was the first time we have ever performed like this, and so many things were brand new to us. We had never taken on choreography like this before, and it was very difficult for the group at times leading up to the competition. This also happened to be the first time that the group had competed with a microphone setup like the one at Tufts, meaning everyone had their own microphone. Despite everything that we had to overcome, we did such an amazing job and I couldn’t be more proud.

Hayley Berry is an editor for Her Campus, and also an avid Bottom Line fan. This was her experience watching the ICCA competition: 

Watching Pitch Perfect while sitting on a couch eating popcorn is one thing, but being able to sit third row to such an event like the ICCA competition was all the more exhilarating. Being a relentless fan of Bryant’s very own a Capella group, The Bottom Line, and also being the (self-acclaimed) number one fan of the Pitch Perfect, it was an experience I will never forget for sure.

It was beyond amazing to watch one of my closest friends that I have met at Bryant sing her heart out throughout the duration of their set, belt out her solo, and show the audience her incredible talents on that stage that lied before not just me, but also a sold-out room of countless spectators. Each and every person gave their all in their performance, and this without a doubt had been portrayed to the rest of the audience. Each member who strutted their stuff on that stage has a great amount of talent and drive that should be admired by the masses. Being able to perform songs with no instruments takes such skill and I can only imagine how much time had to be spent in preparing for the ICCA competition. The group as a whole should be especially proud of themselves, all of the hard work they put into this performance, and the insane amount of hours that they put in to make this performance one to remember. Myself, along with the rest of the Bryant community could not be more proud to call The Bottom Line our very own a Capella group, and cannot wait to see where they end up next on their journey. 

Boston-based twenty-something who's a self-proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur and Billy Joel karaoke aficionado.