How to Stay in Touch with Someone Who’s Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Currently, my sister is studying abroad in Florence, Italy. Between the time difference and the fact that we can’t text (because of outrageous fees), it was hard to stay in touch when she first moved over. But, after a while, we got the hang of it! This is how we’ve been keeping in touch.

Use Different Forms of Communication

Skype (or use any kind of video chat) – This is my favorite way to keep in touch. Since we’re so far away from each other, it’s nice to talk face to face everyone once in a while.

Facebook Message – This is probably the best alternative to texting, since almost everyone already has a Facebook and it’s a reliable app.

Snapchat – It’s convenient, you can send a snap wherever and whenever!

What You Can Do

Be the First to Send a Message – Usually the person who moved half way across the world is busier or has worse internet connection than you, so it doesn’t hurt to initiate the conversation.

Send Life Updates – Tell them what’s going on in your life! They’re probably missing you, their school, and their home, so it’s good to share about those things.

Extras

Send them a Care Package – No one will object to things from home!

Go Visit Them – This is probably almost impossible for most people (like me), but if you can do it, why not?