How To Stay Safe on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

It’s pretty evident we live in a safe environment-guards at the gate at all hours, ID cards needed to get into your building at night, and the mere fact we are place on top of a hill in a quiet time. But, that doesn’t mean there are no threats of danger. It’s important to take proper precautions around campus at night and when you are out on the weekends. Here are some easy ways to avoid putting yourself in danger:

1. Stay in pairs or groups: An easy way to keep yourself out of a vulnerable position is to stay with your friends. It’s the one rule your parents have been trying to enforce since you could walk: use the buddy system.

2. Keep your phone on: We know there will be times you separate from your friends, it’s not realistic to think you can always have someone with you. When you do end up alone, keep your phone in your hand for quick access.

3. Keep your door locked: Make sure you lock your bedroom door when you and your roommate are gone or sleeping. There are countless stories of robberies on campus-don’t let yours be the next.

4. Locate the blue lights around campus: There are multiple emergency stations around campus with an intercom to DPS. A few locations include by the football stadium, in the townhouse parking lot, and the hall 17 lawn.

5. Add the DPS phone number to your contacts: The department of Public Safety here at Bryant wants to help you anytime you need it! Add their phone number to your contacts for anytime you feel in danger, you’re locked out of your room, or you witness someone else in danger-(401.232.6001).  Another great number to add is Women on Call (401.258.4209)

We want you to have a great year…but in order to do so you need to stay safe! Feel free to comment with more safety tips you may have for your peers.

Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.