How Making Non-Negotiables Changed My Mindset

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

As high-achieving, ambitious college students, there are always a million different things running through our minds. On top of our classes, we must organize our schedules to make time for studying, going to meetings, making it to work, and searching for jobs or internships. Not only that, we also have to balance our academics with our friendships, relationships, and mental and physical health. We are lucky if we have enough time in our busy schedules to get enough sleep, eat three healthy meals a day, and, of course, have fun. We have a lot on our plate.

I found myself making difficult sacrifices to stay on top of my schedule — I skipped meals, sacrificed sleep, and pushed myself way past my limits at the gym. I found myself burdened with fatigue and did not yet realize that by making those sacrifices, I was actually neglecting my mental health. With a risk of burnout, losing motivation, and becoming genuinely unhappy with myself and my life, I made the decision to change my lifestyle. I knew that maintaining good mental health should be my main priority and would substantially help me to stay motivated while allowing me to become the happiest version of myself. So, I created a list of non-negotiables for each day that I would always make time for and, under no circumstances, sacrifice. I started my list with the basics; I promised myself plenty of valuable sleep, three full and balanced meals a day, and exercise of any kind in the morning. 

In order to make my list of non-negotiables, I had to organize my schedule (once again) to make sure I made time for each one. Attempting to fit more things into my schedule seemed like a hassle, but it benefited me in more ways than I could have imagined. In order for me to go to the gym in the morning, I was going to have to adjust my sleep schedule and go to bed much earlier. In addition, I needed to replenish that energy after the gym with healthier meals. After a while of making my non-negotiables a permanent part of my routine, I started to notice a positive shift in my life. By having these priorities in my life, I have time each day to focus on myself rather than the millions of other things running through my mind. It’s shifted my mindset to being more productive and giving intent to my day. I also don’t freak out if I run out of time for something beyond the non-negotiable. Balance is something that never comes easy, but making time for things that matter to you is the first step in finding it.

Alum of Her Campus at Bryant University. I held the role of president for our Her Campus chapter.