How to Make Thanksgiving Break Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Thanksgiving break is a time to sit back, relax, and eat a little too much pie. Thanksgiving dinner can be a recipe for disaster when it comes to packing on the pounds. But by staying proactive over your Thanksgiving break, you will be much happier with your mini vacation.

The key factor that you must remember over this break is that you should be focusing on yourself and enjoying every moment of being home. Don’t let things that have stressed you out at school impact your life while home. As soon as you leave campus, take a deep breath and relax yourself.

A good thing to do before you head for home this Thanksgiving is to create a list of things you would like to accomplish by the end of the break. Maybe the day you get back you have three papers due and an exam, so you’ll have to bring home some books. Don’t forget to include seeing your relatives and hanging out with friends, as these are important tasks, too.

So now you are home, sitting on your couch wondering what you are going to do for the next week. Well, here is what you should remember.

1. Be Unproductive

We know this may sound a little contradictory, but you do deserve to make this break a BREAK. This isn’t to encourage you to sit on your couch and binge watch Netflix while eating cartons of Ben & Jerry’s for a week, but rather saying that you need to relax. Sleep in a little later a few days, gain back those hours you lost while studying for midterms. School has definitely been kicking everyone’s butts lately, so enjoy some YOU time this week and get a little bit lazy.

2. Focus on Family

Remember that Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks for what you are grateful for. Your family has not seen you in quite some time and is looking forward to spending quality time with you. Don’t ignore them over this break, appreciate them and all they do for you. Enjoy the time that you have with them, you will never regret it.

3. Volunteer

Thanksgiving starts the season of giving, so why not give back yourself? Volunteering at soup kitchens or homeless shelters could be an extremely fulfilling experience. You are helping your home town community while gaining experience and community service hours that will look great when you need a topic to talk about during a job interview.

4. Focus on the Future

This isn’t supposed to sound scary, but now is a good time to figure out a plan. Looking for internships and job opportunities in your area for the summer may be a good place to start. Even just by getting ahead on studying for those upcoming finals is considered focusing on the future. Maybe update your resume or work on your Linked-In profile while you do not have much else to focus on.

5. Don’t Stop Working Out

Yes, this is a break and a time to relax and be a little bit lazy, but Thanksgiving is a pound packing holiday. A food coma is almost guaranteed on Thanksgiving Day and of course you will probably be eating more of grandma and mom’s home cooked meals the whole week. This is even more of a reason to get active. You don’t want to gain five pounds in the one week that you are home. By working out and staying active you will be sure to cut down on the weight gain.

6. Stay on a (flexible) Schedule

Relaxing is definitely a big part of your schedule for this week. But, by creating a schedule, you will feel more productive in the long run. By using the list of things you created that you want to get done over the break and spreading it out, it will feel easier and you will be more likely to finish it all. Including periods of time for family, friends, and school work is a smart way to keep a balance. Include fun things you can do with them around your town and make the most out of this week!

Remember, the bottom line is that this is a break, you should be taking a break from the things that stress you out. Allow time for distractions and lots of fun. Enjoy a little too much food on Thanksgiving and shop way too much on Black Friday. Think about the things you are grateful for during this time and do not take anything for granted. Life is too short to waste, so go out and enjoy it!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Bryant University Class of 2019 I am a caffeine dependent human being that enjoys avoiding all responsibilities. Blogging is a new passion of mine, hope you're a supporter. Love all the homies that read my articles. Xoxo B