Happy (almost) Password Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

May 7th is National Password Day! Password Day’s purpose is to help us remember online security and to save us from getting hacked and losing valuable information.   Many of us have the same password for EVERYTHING!  Logging into our email, Twitter, bank account, Facebook, blog, school account, etc. is easiest when there is only one password, right?  Wrong!  90% of passwords are hackable, so if the hacker can get into one of your accounts, he most likely can get into all of yours if you have the same password for everything.   

The Top 5 Scams that are most common are:

• Scareware – selling fake anti-virus software

• Phishing Scams – fake ways of getting users to type in personal information

• Phony Websites

• Online Dating Scams

• Nigerian Scare: Also known as the “Advance Fee Fraud” which consists of a spam email from a foreigner asking for money.  

Stay Secure!

• Don’t click that Ad!

• Don’t click that link!

• Don’t use that flash drive!

• Don’t divulge that information!

Password Day, created by Intel Security Education Initiative, is a way to reinvent the way internet users think about passwords. It brings forth the challenge: Are you hackable or unhackable? Can you say #firstworldproblems ?

So remember on May 7th to change your passwords and make sure you stay safe!  

Devon is a senior at Bryant University.  As a Marketing and Communications major, Her Campus is everything that Devon loves. Her hometown of Rutland, Vermont is where she was born and raised.  She attended Philadelphia University for her freshmen year of college as a Fashion Industry Management major, but discovered her true passion was the business aspect of the fashio industry, leading her to transfer to a nationally ranked business school, Bryant University.  Devon is the co-president of the Her Campus chapter at Bryant and is also a Research Assistant in the school's Office of Planning and Institutional Research.  You will see Devon on campus organizing HC events, running around finishing projects, or hanging out with her friends.  Devon's passions include: writing, dance, the ocean, and spending time with the people she loves.