This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Ahh, the sweet smell of October; the most wonderful time of the year! With October comes apple cider, apples, changing colors of leaves, pumpkins; but one of the most important aspects is a new term that is coming to represent the month of October, and the season of fall, as a whole: spooky season.

Spooky season is ultimately leading to the fact that Halloween is around the corner, so why not celebrate the whole month? Now you can!

Listed below are our favorite movies by rank. Check them out, but beware: You may fall in love with all of them!

1. Hocus Pocus

If you are one of those people who LOVES Halloween, you are most likely aware of this movie and have probably already watched it a number of times. BUT, if you are one of those people who has never seen it, it is by far the most classic Halloween movie. It includes witches and takes place in Salem, Massachusetts; so, it hits close to home! This movie surrounds the idea that witches are bad, and new Salem residents bring three of them back to life for the night. How does it go? Well, you’ll have to watch it to find out.

2. Halloweentown

Our generation was Disney and Nickelodeon obsessed. With that being said, we were able to experience some of the most classic movies at the time, or a few years after, their release. In 1998, Halloweentown was released and would change the movie culture of Halloween forever!

This movie takes place in a town outside of the mortal world, consisting of goblins, ghosts, witches, and so many more characters. During this movie, Marnie (the main character) discovers that along with her grandmother and mother being witches, she is, in fact, a witch herself. Right when she enters Halloweentown, it is her mission to save the town. If she saves it or not is something you will have to see for yourself!

(Side note: There are four Halloweentown movies – watch them all)

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas

This movie, created in 1993, is another classic. It follows the adventures of Jack Skellington, the leader of Halloweentown. He realizes he does not want to be someone who scares people in the real world and is attempting to take over a new town: Christmastown. He is aiming to capture Santa Claus to become the leader of Christmastown, but will he realize he belongs in Halloweentown?

4. The Haunted Mansion

Who doesn’t love a movie with Eddie Murphy?! We know we love his movies! Eddie Murphy stars in this movie as a Jim Evers, a workaholic real estate agent, bringing his family along to a haunted mansion for a potential selling as they leave for vacation. The family soon discovers the mansion is haunted and has plans for Jim’s wife that will be problematic. With the help of a talking crystal ball, two servant ghosts, and his kids, will he be able to save his wife?

5. Twitches

Does anyone remember the show Sister, Sister with Tia and Tamara? If you do, you may also remember the day they made their debut on Disney Channel in their very own Halloween movie Twitches! 

In this movie, they are long-lost twin sisters who both have secret powers they know nothing about. But, they suddenly meet each other and have a mission to beat the ‘darkness’ with their powers. Will the twins use their powers and succeed in the end? That’s something you’ll have to watch the movie to find out!

Though these are just the top five Halloween movies we love, there are many more to watch that the general population seems to love! 

Honorable Mentions: The Addams Family, Casper the Ghost, Mostly Ghostly, Scream, and Coraline.

Be sure to get into full spooky season swing with these movies!

Cover | Gif graphics by Giphy

Junior at Bryant University from a small town in Connecticut
Boston-based twenty-something who's a self-proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur and Billy Joel karaoke aficionado.