This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

On Sunday May 5th, 2013 Her Campus Bryant will be showing one of the most undoubtedly awe-inspiring documentaries. Girl Rising is a special documentary about nine girls with limited access to education and their immense determination to overcome any barriers preventing them from moving ahead with their academic lives.  The stories of the nine girls in nine developing nations are narrated by nine A-List actress, including Meryl Streep.  When we live in a country like America, education for the girl child is taken for granted.  These girls expand our horizons of the power of education and most importantly the power of the human spirit.  

The documentary opens up with a dialogue about an international social issue that we don’t usually talk about. Lack of education for girls in developing countries is a catalyst to many social issues–primarily death through childbirth in teenagers, still born, and birth defects. According to the World Health Organization, childbirth is the number cause of death for girls aged 15-19 in developing nations. Increased education leads to increased knowledge and job opportunities that can potentially improve the standard of living and provide gateways to future female leaders.

Be a part of this conversation and join us in watching this documentary this Sunday in Lecture Hall 1 in the Unistructure–spread the message to educate girls in developing countries because you believe in the potential of the human spirit. Let us help raise awareness about educational funds for girls because it is the Right Thing To Do.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/augusta-thomson/girl-rising-10x10_b_3140891.html