Frankie Dobbs – The Basketball Captain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

The Bryant University Men’s Basketball team has had a tough journey. Over the years, they have fought for the respect of their peers at Bryant, their opponents in the league, and everyone who has ever doubted them. Finally, a time has come where all of their hard work and dedication has paid off. Frankie Dobbs, senior and captain of the basketball team shares his thoughts about their journey and their recent success.

Name: Frankie Dobbs

Year: Senior

Position: Guard

Major: Management

HC: Tell us a little about your journey with the Bryant basketball team.

FD: Being here for four years, three of which I have been eligible due to transfer rules, it has been a rollercoaster of a journey to say the least. In my first three years, we have struggled mightily, however, by sticking with the program and working hard in practice, we have finally started to see results this year.

HC: What is your favorite thing about being a part of this team?

FD: The fact that I am playing with a bunch of my friends. We all have a strong relationship off the court, as well as on, which I feel has contributed to great team cohesion and chemistry.

HC: What has been the most rewarding part about being a Bryant basketball player? What is something that the Bryant community may not know about this team’s dynamic?

FD: The best reward has been rising from rock bottom. After being one of the worst teams in Division 1, we have completely changed the way Bryant, other teams, and people perceive us.  In just a one year span, we have completely turned it around and are currently in 1st place in the conference. This journey has taught me to stay mentally tough, even when things may be tough at the time, and to have the faith that things will turn around in the future. One thing that the Bryant community may not know about this team’s dynamic is that every single player on the roster is a valuable contributor; whether it is on the court in games, or in practice where we help each other to grow as players.

HC: What are your personal aspirations in the next few years?

FD: To play professionally overseas.

HC: What is in store for this team in the future?

FD: Hopefully by continuing to work hard, and improving our skills, we will win the conference and play in the NCAA Tournament.