The Fighter – Alyssa Silva ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Name: Alyssa Silva
Major/Graduation Year: Marketing, 2013
Hometown: Cumberland, RI

HC: Why did you choose to attend Bryant? What has been your favorite thing about it so far?

AS: A big factor that influenced my decision to go to Bryant was accessibility. Most of the colleges I had been to all had classes in different buildings that were, what felt like, miles and miles away from each other.  I liked the idea that the majority of the classes were in one building, and that Bryant was close to home.  I had never taken a business class prior to Bryant so I was a little worried that it wouldn’t be a good fit.  However, looking back at the past 4 years, I know I made the best decision for me.

I think what I love about Bryant the most is the people that go here.  We’re a small university so I feel like everyone is family.  Not only that, everyone is so incredibly nice!  I love when I’m in the hallway and a stranger will go out of his or her way to hold the door for me.  It’s the simple gestures like that that really make my day.

HC: Can you tell us a little bit about Spinal Muscular Atrophy and your personal experience with the disease?

AS: Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) is a motor neuron disease that affects the muscles that are used for walking, head and neck control, and respiration.  I was diagnosed with SMA when I was 5 months old, and at the time, there was little hope for children with this disease. Living with SMA definitely has its ups and downs.  I learned at very young age that life is a gift and I have to make the most of what has been given to me.  I’ve spent so much time in the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital for pneumonias and other illnesses that I’ve actually lost track of how many times I’ve been in there.  And there have been so many other obstacles that I’ve been faced with because I’m in a wheelchair. However, along with the bad times come those amazing, never-forget, luckiest-girl-in-the-world times that make everything worthwhile. I have the greatest group of family and friends that are ALWAYS there for me, even in the darkest of times. If I told you living with SMA has been easy, I’d be lying. But I was taught to make the most out of every situation and that’s what I’ve been doing for the past 21 years. Always have to stay positive!

HC: You’ve raised over $50,000 for SMA so far. We’d love to hear about your fundraising efforts (and how our readers can contribute to the cause)?

AS: At age 10,I started my very own cards and calendars business, Working On Walking Productions.  I drew each card and calendar on my own, had them printed for free, and then sold them to the public in local shops and fairs.  All the profits I made went towards finding a cure for SMA.  When I started college, I stopped drawing and started an annual fundraiser for SMA.  With the help of my friend’s parents, we have hosted a golf tournament/dinner for the past 2 years.  It’s always a great success and I’m so amazed by the turnout we get every year.  We’ve actually already started looking for donations for this year’s fundraiser on August 13th and I’m really excited to see how it turns out!  We’re going to make this event the best one yet. 

When I was 10 years old, I remember telling my mom that I’d be happy if I raised $100 from doing this.  Crazy, right?  I honestly can’t even believe I’ve raised that much money in the past 11 years.  I think it’s so incredible that so many people want to help me fight for a cure for my disease.  Raising $50,000 has been my biggest accomplishment to date, and I’m ready to raise $50,000 more.

You can purchase Alyssa’s cards on the Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy website (all proceeds go to fsma to help raise money for a cure). Additionally, you can make a donation directly to FSMA, or if you’d like to donate to Alyssa’s golf tournament, you can email her at asilva4@bryant.edu.

HC: What do you like to do for fun?

AS: I love love love the beach!  As soon as the weather gets a little nicer, my friends and I pretty much live down by the water.  I also love being spontaneous.  My friends and I will take random road trips in the minivan (so cool), blasting country music, and always finding ourselves an adventure.  It’s great, we have so much fun.

HC: What do you hope to do after graduating from Bryant?

AS: I would love to open up a little boutique in downtown Providence at some point. Something that’s girly, trendy, and different from the rest. My friend and I have been talking about this for a while now so hopefully that will happen!

HC: Anything else you’d like to add?

AS: Scientists have made so many medical breakthroughs in the last 20 years that a cure is finally within our reach.  Back when I was diagnosed with SMA, the doctors basically told my parents there was nothing out there for me and that I would only live until the age of 2.  Now, they’ve become so much more optimistic and have even started medical trials on SMA patients!  It’s truly unbelievable.  Seeing the major progress throughout the years has given me so much hope and the strength to fight 100 times harder.

For more information on how you can help, please visit www.fsma.org!

Makena is a senior at Bryant University, studying International Business, Marketing and Spanish. In addition to co-founding Her Campus at Bryant, Makena is a published author, a peer mentor for Academic Programs International, works as a research assistant on campus, and is over-involved in general (and loving it). When she isn’t running frantically between classes, work and meetings, Makena enjoys travel, good Tex-Mex and getting lost in a great book.