Facts You Should Know About Breast Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Cancer affects a huge amount of people across the globe. We are fortunate to live in a society that has progressed so much to battle this heartbreaking disease. Breast cancer is one of the more common cancers, especially among women.

Here are some quick facts about breast cancer.

• One in eight women are diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
  • It is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women and is the second leading cause of cancer death among women.
  • Each year over 246,660 women in the United States are diagnosed with breast cancer and upwards of 40,000 will die.
  • Each year about 2,600 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and approximately 440 will die.
  • Approximately every two minutes a woman will be diagnosed with breast cancer and every 13 minutes one women will die of breast cancer.
  • In the US today, there are over 2.8 million breast cancer survivors.
  • Less than 1% of all breast cancer is developed in males.

With the help of better technology and treatment, breast cancer is now found earlier and treated better and women are surviving at rates that have been rising since 1990. With continual technology and treatment, hopefully we will get this disease to disappear forever!

Information from National Breast Cancer Foundation

Totally dependent on Chinese takeout and chicken nuggets. Netflix is the only committed relationship I can handle. I hope you think my articles are funny or at least make you smile... if not try harder :)