Everything You Need to Know for the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

With the Oscars being the biggest red carpet event of the year, we’re giving you a crash course in everything you need to know. So, when you’re done watching your favorite celebs strutting their stuff down the carpet, you can blow your friends away with all of your knowledge and predictions for the upcoming awards and the best dressed ladies and fellas of the night.

The red carpet coverage begins on Sunday, February 22nd at 3pm (Channel 15 @ Bryant) and the show itself start at 7pm on ABC (Channel 6 @ Bryant).

Hosting the show this year, is the hilarious How I Met Your Mother actor, Neil Patrick Harris! Anticipate an ah-mazing dance or song number by the star to accompany his opening monologue due to his theatre background.

And here are the nominees for…

…Best PictureWhiplash, American Sniper, Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, Selma, The Theory of Everything and Boyhood. Critics are betting on Boyhood for the big win, and after finding out that filming took place over the course of 12 years, so are we, they earned it!

…Best Actor

Michael Keaton (Birdman), Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything), Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game), Bradley Cooper (American Sniper), Steve Carell (Foxcatcher).Critics think the award would most likely go to Redmayne, Cooper or Keaton but wouldn’t it be so nice to see funny man Steve Carell win? We think yes.

…Best Actress

Felicity Jones (Theory of Everything), Marion Cotillard (Two Days, One Night), Reese Witherspoon (Wild), Julianne Moore (Still Alice), Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl). Critics are predicting a big win for Moore or Jones but we have to say, Pike has a good chance for fooling us all in Gone girl.

…Best Supporting Actor

Mark Ruffalo (Foxcatcher), Edward Norton (Birdman), J.K. Simmons (Whiplash) Robert Duvall (The Judge), Ethan Hawke (Boyhood). Critics have their money on Simmons or Norton for the win.

…Best Supporting Actress

Emma Stone (Birdman), Patricia Arquette (Boyhood), Meryl Streep (Into the Woods), Laura Dern (Wild), Keira Knightley (The Imitation Game). Everyone knows Meryl Streep is an Oscar goddess, but all these ladies are strong contenders for their amazing roles.

For a complete list of nominees, read our article here!

And Best Dressed goes to…

All the nominees usually STUN on the carpet the night of their nomination, so we can expect amazing looks from all these lovely ladies from Dior to Alexander McQueen. We fully expect Emma Stone to blow us away with her sexy but quirky style and of course Reese Witherspoon will dazzle, hopefully in a jewel tone of sorts. Plus all eyes are always on former winner-turned-presenter Lupita N’Yongo to show everyone up.

When it comes to the fellas: Bradley Cooper. Enough said. Check out some past looks below and decide for yourself! 

Senior, marketing major from Pembroke MA.  Marketing and PR Chair for Bryant's Her Campus chapter.  Loves sharks.