Emotional Stages of Finishing a TV Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

It’s indisputable that Netflix is one of the most important inventions of recent decades. At least, as college students it certainly feels that way sometimes. Netflix introduced us to the life changing ability to binge watch our favorite TV shows. Whether you’re using Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, or Amazon Instant Video, there are few things we like more than curling up with our laptops and watching 6 consecutive episodes of our favorite show. There’s only one problem of watching 5 years of television in 3 weeks- eventually, it has to end. Finishing a TV show is simultaneously a great accomplishment and a horrible disappointment. This is for all you collegiettes who watched a lot of Netflix over the summer, and aren’t sure what to do with themselves now that it’s all over.

When it begins, everything is going well. You’re watching a great show and life is good.

It’s so good that you realize you’re flying through the show.

You check the episode list and realize next season is the last. No need to panic, you have plenty of time.

You start the final season, and are excited to see how it all ends.

But at the same time, you’re wondering what you’ll do with your life when this is all over.

You might have to get a real hobby. (You probably won’t, though).

Halfway through the last season you start to feel nervous.

The only thing to do is pretend the end isn’t near, and savor each episode.

You planned on spacing the season out, but you couldn’t resist so you’re done within a week.

As the closing credits of the last episode role, you feel your heart slowly start to break.

How are you supposed to go on with your life and leave your favorite characters behind?

You make yourself feel better by following Twitter and Vine accounts dedicated to the show.

“Why yes, I am a diehard fan of friends!”

For a while, everything you see will remind you of the show. You can’t go to the doctor’s office without feeling the sudden need to shout “Push one of epi… Charge to 300!” And you’re pretty sure you’re going to end up like this kid:

It seems impossible, but over time the pain fades away. Most likely because you’ve found a new show to binge on.

If you’re lucky, you only have to wait a few months for a new season to air on TV.

If not, then unfortunately you really have reached the end. Just remember: don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

Pick your head up and move forward. You can do this, collegiettes. Be strong. 

Gifs courtesy of giphy.com