This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

As collegiettes, we know how hard it can be to choose your major when beginning your college career. How, at the age of 18, are we supposed to know what we want to major in and consequently spend the rest of our lives doing? Well let us tell you — we don’t know. We can personally tell you that many of us have changed our majors over and over, and that is perfectly fine.

If you come into college thinking you have a great interest in one major and that it should be your career path, but then decide down the line that you have lost interest or changed your mind, don’t worry. Do not feel scared to change your major, it will be okay. We know many collegiettes that have changed their majors multiple times and are still on track to graduate in four years. In your first two years, you will spend most of your time taking general education requirements and not focusing on your major, anyways.

It’s hard to decide as a freshman what you want to major in, and eventually spend the rest of your life pursuing a career in. You may get to college and choose a major in one field, and then after taking a few classes decide you don’t enjoy it like you thought you would. It’s okay to choose a new major and spend time exploring different types of classes. You may find you fall in love with something you never thought you’d be interested in. We promise, this can happen to anyone, regardless of what you may believe.  

It’s incredibly important to be happy in life, and if the major that you chose as a freshman is no longer making you happy, then you should definitely look into switching to something that you are passionate about. Your major is setting you up for your future career, so it definitely should be something you enjoy learning about and doing. 

A note from Her Campus Bryant: Whatever you are deciding, Her Campus urges everyone to explore all their options, take classes that excite them, and talk to others who have gone through similar changes.  Academic Advising, your professors, and your friends are all helpful tools who would love to assist you in creating your futures.  Good luck, and have a successful semester!

Flora is a graduate from Bryant University with a major in communication. She moved to Boston after graduating and somehow is already 2 years post-grad. By day, she is a marketing associate but when she's not at the office she loves trying new foods, hunting for the latest trends, exploring the city, going to spin classes, and finding as many cute dogs to pet as possible! Follow her on Instagram @lifeisgoodman