Do’s and Dont’s of Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Do: Travel    Don’t: Travel too Much

I know it’s exciting especially if you’re in Europe you want to go everywhere because suddenly, everywhere is possible. However, don’t forget that where you’re studying abroad is your new home. Know it, love it, become a part of it. Don’t leave this opportunity to waste. You have the option to come back to Europe and travel around if you would like, the ability to live in a foreign country making friends with kids your age from all around the world is something that you most likely won’t encounter again. Savor it!

Do: Make Friends with People from the Country You Live in

First day here is hard, and you will most likely latch on to the other fellow Americans in your program. Do not let it happen for your entire duration here. You will regret it I promise. Becoming friends with natives is an awesome way to involve yourself further in their culture and to find out about all the cool local places. It’s also really awesome if you’re in a place that speaks another language because they can help you learn the language faster and get you into certain bars/clubs that might only let in natives.

Do: Volunteer    

Check out your program and see what they offer for setting up volunteering. Volunteering is a way to open yourself up to the good and bad parts of your study abroad country. It also helps a ton with homesickness. Putting yourself in a position to help others in needs puts your life in perspective, and makes you realize how lucky you are to be having this experience.

Do: Research before you travel

Whether you’re a museum/ history person or not you’re going to visit many many many museums. I can’t emphasize enough how many you will see. However, will see some amazing stuff. If you’re traveling to a place on your own check out some of the most important sites you want to see beforehand, and make sure none of them are in construction.

ex. The fountain in Rome… that’s right I missed my Lizzie McGuire moment.

Do: Look into hostels   Don’t: Go for the cheapest one

I had no idea what a hostel was before I left for study abroad and now they seem to pretty much be my home. They can be the best thing in the world, and also the worst. When they’re cheap and you have a few nights in another country and they provide breakfast and are in a decent location it’s awesome. When you’re traveling for 10 days straight from hostel to hostel and one of them has bed bugs because you didn’t look into it as much as you should and you had to give up 5 meals worth of money for laundry and bug spray, they are not cool. Hostel world is a great place to find cheap hostels and read the reviews in depth people! They’re can be some really sketchy hostels and these reviews really help to sort those out. Also bring a lock because many hostels won’t have that and you want to secure your valuables from the 8 other strangers you’re rooming with.

Do: Go for the Cheap Flights    Don’t: Forget to Look at Carry on Restrictions

Skyscanner; the most important website for cheap flights. Select where you want to go, the dates, and the times and sky scanner will show you the cheapest options with layovers or no layovers and all. Don’t be afraid to take Ryan Air or Easy Jet. It seems sketchy with how cheap it is, but they are very reliable and Europeans take them all time. Ryan Air does have pretty strict limits when it comes to their carryon baggage though. A carryon bag you might get away with on Delta is nowhere near the flight restrictions for Ryan Air. Be sure to check that out before you take your flight or you’ll have to check your bag and with how often luggage gets lost here I wouldn’t chance it.

Do: Travel Alone   Don’t: Be Stupid

Lots of people end up traveling around with 5 or more friends. I’m sitting here with experience in traveling with a group of fifty students, five people, one other person, and on my own. Of all four experiences the one I went off on my own with turned out to be the best. You go off your own time, you worry about yourself, and you feel that much more empowered when you make it to another country. Yes of course it is fun traveling with others but it can get old very fast. I say give em’ all a try and see which you like best, but don’t skip out on going solo. You’ll find out a great deal about yourself, something’s you might come to enjoy. When saying this of course comes the fact that you don’t want to go off in sketchy street corners on you journey alone. If you find yourself not traveling from country to country be sure to make it around the city in which you study abroad in alone. Venture off and find things you enjoy.

Do: Lots of Exploring   Don’t: Get Caught up with Social Media

The apartment complex I was set up with ended up never getting internet. At first I thought I was screwed, but it ended up being a blessing. Instead of Facebooking or skyping get up and wander the city finding cool cafés, restaurants, shops, flea markets, and parks. You can have internet any day back home, be sure to catch up with your parents of course here and there, but skip your Netflix binges for a few months and enjoy your new life! You’ll regret not checking out that cool Thai food market Sunday evening and instead watching Gossip Girl when you’re back in Rhode Island and realize that there’s not even a Thai restaurant anywhere in site.

And finally the most important tip I can give you

Do: STUDY ABROAD

I don’t believe an explanation is necessary.  

If you have any more questions feel free to email me, I’d be more than happy to answer: mcolburn@bryant.edu