Charity Events this Fall!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Here at Her Campus Bryant, we love getting involved with the community and raising money for worthwhile causes. With a new year ahead of us, we’re eager to start fundraising again to help out those in need. Not only are charity events a great way to get involved, but they can also be a lot of fun! No matter the type of event or cause in need, your donation is bound to make a difference. Below are some great fundraising events going on this autumn in the Providence, Boston, and NYC areas.

Providence, RI
One great event that is taking place in the Providence area is the “Adoption Rhode Island Walk the Walk” fundraiser. It will be held at Lincoln Woods State Park in Lincoln, RI from 11am to 2pm on Sunday, September 30th. Proceeds from this event will help benefit over one hundred children that are hoping to someday be adopted. Join in on the 2.5 mile walk and enjoy the beautiful scenery Lincoln Woods has to offer. Your donation of $15 will surely help in finding a family for these children. So why not stop by? Every child deserves to have a place they call home.

Another great fundraiser that is happening this fall on Sunday, October 21st is the “2012 Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” event. This event will take place at Roger Williams Park in Providence, RI, with registration beginning at 7:30am. Hosted by the American Cancer Society, this 3.2 mile walk is free of charge, but it is kindly recommended that the participants fundraise. More often than not breast cancer has had some sort of impact on our lives. It is a cruel disease that affects so many. Help end the suffering by signing up for this event today.

Boston, MA
Attention all music lovers: this is a fundraiser you probably shouldn’t miss out on. On September 22-23, the “Life is good” festival will take place at Prowse Farm in Canton, MA. This two-day event has all kinds of fun activities going on including games, art activities, and three stages for a weekend concert series. Some musical acts performing at this fundraiser are Michael Franti & Spearhead, Sara Bareilles, and even Dave Matthews! Definitely don’t miss out on this fun-filled weekend, collegiettes. One-day tickets are $65 for adults and $20 for children. Two-day tickets are also available at $120 for adults. All proceeds go towards the “Life is good” Playmakers, an organization aimed at helping kids overcome poverty, violence, and illness. For more information on this event, visit their website here.

How many of you know someone that has been inflicted with type I diabetes? Also known as juvenile diabetes, millions and millions of people from around the world are affected by this disease. That is why, on October 13th, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) is hosting the 2012 Boston Walk to Cure Diabetes to help those in need. This event will be held at the DCR Hatch Shell near the Charles River, with registration beginning at 9:30am. This 5K will include food and entertainment for all ages. Proceeds are brought in through family and corporate teams, sponsorships, and donations from the walkers and the community. Don’t forget to sign up on their website!

New York City
On Wednesday, September 19th, Alex and Ani will be teaming up with Only Make Believe, a nonprofit organization that performs theatre acts for chronically ill and disabled children in hospitals and facilities. From 6-8pm, the Alex and Ani in SOHO will be donating 15 percent of their sales to this organization. Admission is free and there will be complimentary “lite bites” and “(+) energy punch” available to the shoppers. If you’re in the area, why not splurge and get the latest Alex and Ani bracelet for yourself or a loved one? Your purchase is going towards a great cause!

Another worthwhile fundraiser in the city to consider is the “4th Annual NYC NEDA Walk and Expo”, happening on Sunday, October 7th. NEDA stands for National Eating Disorders Association and raises funds and awareness for those who suffer from eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. The walk will take place in Foley Square in downtown NYC and begins at 9am. When registering online (which can be found at this site), the fee is $25 for adults, $10 for children, and $5 for pets. Once registered, participants can continue to fundraise until the day of the walk. Sign up today!

Have you ever attended or planned a fundraiser yourself? Share your story in the comment box below!

Photo Credits:
http://www.nysonglines.com/centre.htm