From Business Frumpy to Business “Sharp-looking Professional”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

When it comes to business attire, men have it pretty easy. For us ladies, finding the right business attire can be a difficult mission. Sometimes it seems that our only two options are: business frumpy or business sleazy. More often than not, business sleazy wins.  Over here at HC Bryant it has come to our attention that despite the fact that Bryant is a business school, there are still girls that still have not gotten a handle of what is appropriate for interviews and business presentations. Over the last two weeks alone, we have noticed a lot of tight short skirts, cleavage, and what some of our own professors have dubbed “hooker heels.”  Ladies, we need to remember that looking stylish and presentable DOES NOT mean showing tons of skin, accentuating your curves, and trotting around in heels you can barely walk in.  Always remember that people will judge you on how you look, so always bring your A-Game when it comes to business attire…especially for a grade in a class or future job!

Below are some do’s and don’ts regarding business formal, business casual, and appropriate heels.
I know business formal might seem boring. Usually, when you think of business formal, you think of an ill-fitting pantsuit.  But don’t make the mistake of “sexing it up” in order to avoid looking boring. With business formal always include a blazer in your outfit.

Don’t

Tip: Keep your cleavage covered at all times.  I know some of us girls have more going on in the chest areas than others. If you have ‘big boobs’ avoid wearing v-necks.  

Do

Tip: There were a lot business formal attire seen on the runways of Diane Von Furstenberg and Lanvin this past fashion week. Get some inspiration from the runway and add a pop color with a turtleneck, a colorful blouse, or skirt suit.  If you are wearing pants, please make sure they are the right length. There is nothing worse than boot cut pants that look like high waters or pants that are too long.  Wear a velvet blazer with straight pants and a blouse with a bow tie for a chic and sleek look.  Business suits don’t always have to be black! Try a patterned suits or a neutral color paired with a bright blouse like beige.

Business Casual

You can have a bit more fun with business casual. With business casual you can show a little bit of your creative side. Think fun blouses, cute cardigans, patterned skirts, and wide leg pants. You can also try dresses for business casual.

Don’t

Tip: I see too many girls in pencil skirts that are too tight and too short on campus. There is nothing wrong with pencil skirts, but if you have a curvy frame, refrain from wearing pencil skirts or dresses with similar silhouettes.  Don’t be that girl who gets the wrong kind of attention at a business function.

Do

Tip: Take a cue from our first lady and try a cute beaded cardigan paired with a pastel colored skirt. Have fun pairing wide leg pants or straight leg pants with fun blouses. A nice fitting sculptured dress is a quick fix to attain a chic, sleek, and appropriate business outfit.

Heels

Ok ladies, the 5-inch heels have got to go! Save the 5-inch heels for a night out with your friends and pick something comfortable that you can walk in!

• Pick a low closed toe heel of wedge. Don’t wear anything with really high platforms.
  • Posture is extremely important; always stand upright with your shoulders rolled back. The hunched over look coupled with high heels is not flattering.
  • We’ve all seen the wobbly ankle heel walk. This happens when all the weight is placed on your heels. This is usually how we walk in flats, but when wearing heels, place more weight on the balls of your feet and your toes than on your heels. This way your weight you won’t be balanced on the tiny stick of your shoes.
  • Relax your knees! Avoid leaning over too far and locking your knees. Relax your quadriceps and put only a slight bend in your knees and carry that bend with you while you’re walking.

Below are couple options you can wear with your business attire without looking frumpy OR sleazy.

Photo Sources
Tyra Banks: www.starpulse.com
Blake Lively: http://www.werdyo.com/girls/blake_lively-elie_saab-spring_2012-pants_suit.php
Tan suit, Janelle Monae, red skirt suit: http://fashionbombdaily.com/2011/10/11/50-work-ready-fall-winter-dresses/
Kourtney Kardashian: http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/celebrity-style-1-gallery/kourtney-kardashian-celebrity-style/kourtney-kardashian-in-a-patterned-suit
Kim Kardashian black pencil skirt: http://fashionbombdaily.com/2011/08/17/fashion-discussion-can-curvaceous-corporate-divas-get-away-with-pencil-skirts/
Jennifer Lopez Zac Posen Dress: http://stscelebblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/jennifer-lopez-in-zac-posen.html
Iman pant suit, Michelle Obama, Kim Kardashian wide leg pants, Tracee Ellis Ross: www.fashionbombdaily.com
Shoes: www.urbanog.com