Career > Her20s

Applying for internships as a college student? Prepare with these tips and tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.
HBO

If you are a college student who has a LinkedIn profile, chances are your feed consists of posts from your peers announcing their internship plans for the Summer. Maybe you want to start looking for yourself. Gain some real-world experience in a field that interests you. The first step to possibly landing any position is to market yourself to employers. Here’s where I’ve got your back. 

Tip # 1: Refine your resume.

Resume rallies are a great way to revamp your resume.  Make sure to attend one if your school offers it!

Here is what I learned:

• Use bullet points, not sentences, to list responsibilities you held at a previous job.
  • Include any skills you have that make you unique; do you know some Mandarin Chinese? Have your own personal blog?  Write it down!
  • Make sure everything is up to date. Include your most recent job experience or update your major if you’ve recently made changes to it.

Tip # 2: Dress to impress during interviews.

Add these business clothing staples to your closet:

• A versatile blazer.
  • Neutral-colored dress pants.
  • Black heels or flats.
  • Button-down shirts
  • Formal shirts

Tip #3: Apply, apply, & apply some more!

You’ll never know if you could’ve landed a role if you don’t apply for it! As tedious as cover letters and applications can be, you’ll thank yourself for taking the time if you eventually hear back from an employer.  LinkedIn and Handshake are two great platforms for searching for internships. Simply enter in the type of internship you are looking for and apply to opportunities that match up! Don’t forget to follow up with employers (via LinkedIn, phone call, or email) after you apply to show them you are serious about the position.

Kendahl Nye

Bryant '24

Hi! My name is Kendahl and I'm a junior at Bryant University. I'm a Communications major with minors in Business Administration and Human Resource Management. In my free time I love reading, lifting weights & writing for Her Campus!