7 Ways to Give Thanks This November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

November is finally here… or not so “finally”. Let’s be honest, it literally came out of absolutely nowhere. We all remember our first day of classes this semester, and now in class we’re hearing professors talk about the final. Why..?  In the midst of making sense of the fact that this semester is going by way too quickly, we realize it is November. Which is really the start of the season of giving thanks. How are you going to give thanks this month? Below we have listed 7 ways you can give thanks but if you have more, we’d love to hear from you!

1. Volunteer your time

• We know you probably hear this time and time again, but volunteeriny your time is one of the best ways to truly give thanks. Giving back to your community is SO important and will only better you as a person and your community as a whole!  Gather up your girls and jump onto Serve RI where you can find awesome volunteering opportunities around the area. Did you know the Roger Williams Park Zoo is always looking for play partners?

2.  Send each of your friends from home a little care package!

• Sometimes a simple care package can cost hundreds of dollars, so start with something small. Grab your hometown friends’ school addresses and send them “thinking of you/ good luck with midterms and finals!”-notes. Don’t be afraid to attach some candy or chocolate-every girl LOVES chocolate. This is just a simple, and cheap, way of showing your friends you really care about them and appreciate all they do!

3. Start a thankful blog

• No, really, a thankful blog. There are free blogs on WordPress you can create which are so customizeable and can be super cute! Start up a blog where once a day, or once a week, you write about something you are thankful for. Let your friends and family know about your blog so they can keep up with all of your blessings!

4.  Surprise someone you know deserves it with a small gift!

• Whether it is the secretary at work that always bends over backwards for the office with scheduling, your best friend who just overcame a rough challenge, or the janitor who cleaned up that Starbucks you spilled on your way to class yesterday…give thanks to them!  They are the people who bring out the best in you and make the world go ’round.  Purchasing a small boquet of flowers or letting them know that coffee is on you tomorrow can truly go a long way.

5.  Take your boyfriend or giflfriend out on a date

• We KNOW that girls tend to get spoiled in a relationship with their boyfriend or even girlfriend constantly paying for everything! Do something new and leave a note one morning by your lover’s bedside letting them know you will pick them up at 7! Surprise them with something they’ve been wanting to do for a while-watching their favorite movie, grabbing some ice cream, or going out to the new sushi place down the street! Oh and don’t forget to let them know you truly are appreciative of everything they do :)

6.  Clean up campus with your friends

• We all know how hard our campus facilities workers work, especially at Bryant. This coming Sunday, wake up with your roommates a bit earlier than usual and clean up the beer cans and broken glass around the Townhouses! The workers may try and stop you because it is “their job” to maintain our campu,s but at least try to help! If they respectfully ask you to stop, go inside and make them some warm hot cocoa for them to enjoy while cleaning up!

7.  Send thankful holiday cards

• Every family LOVES getting those holiday cards from friends. We love the ones where the dog is dressed up in a Santa suit, and even the ones of the newborn who just joined the family! But, you can try switching it up this year. Take a few pics of your family holding up “THANK YOU!” signs and send them to people who you want to thank- whether it is for just being your friends or something more specific like helping out during a difficult time. Cute, right?
Jessica is a senior at Bryant University where she is majoring in management and double minoring in marketing and communication.  She holds the position as Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Bryant and was actually one of the first founding members!  Beyond Her Campus Bryant, she is the Vice President of the Bryant Marketing Association and a MyPath Mentor.  She loves working at the Amica Center for Career Education where she manages their marketing and social media efforts but also enjoys her time at the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership and the school's bookstore. When at home in Connecticut, she loves to watch movies with her family, play with her dog, have bonfires with friends, sleepovers with her sister, and scrapbook! Jessica aspires to one day manage her own department of a fortune 500 company, or even run her own company with a little bit of writing on the side!  Upon graduating this coming May, she will jump-start her career at EMC as a Marketing Development Associate in the Marketing Development Program.
Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.