7 Dorm Room Desserts You HAVE To Make This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Being a college student can sometimes, or in my case at least, make you crave a lot of sweet, salty, chocolate-y, creamy, desserts. It’s hard to make these sweet-tooth desserts when you’re a underclassmen at Bryant because you most likely live in the regular dorm buildings on campus. When you don’t always have access to an oven, how do you bake?!

Good question. Now, here’s your answer: you don’t. Don’t bake! Below are 6 recipes appropriate for any dorm room which is lacking an oven. If you have a microwave and fridge then you’re all set!

We think this is news worthy don’t you?  Let’s start off with some warmed up baked apples.  Mmmmmmmm…..

Baked Apples
Good for 2 servings…Hint: mix with ice cream at the end for that hold-cold kind of taste!

Ingredients:
-2 apples
-2 tablespoons of brown sugar
-1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
-1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
-2 teaspoons of butter

Directions:

1. Core the apples, leaving the bottom intact
  2. In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon the sugar mixture into the apples and set a teaspoon (or more to your taste) of butter on top of each apple. Place the apples in a deep casserole dish and cover.
  3. Microwave for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until tender. Let the apples sit for a couple minutes before serving.

Halloween Ghosties

Perfect for halloween! Makes 24 cookies.

Ingredients:
-1 (12 ounce) package white chocolate chips
-48 miniature chocolate chips
-24 peanut-shaped peanut butter sandwich cookies

Directions:

1. Place chocolate chips into a microwaveable-safe bowl and heat on low in microwave for 1 minute; stir. Continue heating on low several more times, 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time, until white chocolate is warm and smooth.
  2. Use 2 forks to dip cookies into white chocolate; set cookies on sheets of waxed paper. Place 2 miniature chocolate chips onto one end of each cookie for eyes; set cookies aside until coating has hardened, about 20 minutes.

Microwave Cake

Makes 12 servings! Throw a whipped topping on top of the cake to make it extra satisfying!

Ingredients:
-1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
-3 eggs
-1 (21 ounce can apple pie filling
-1/2 cup applesauce

Directions:

1. Mix the box of cake mix, eggs, pie filling and applesauce till moist. Use a microwave safe bundt pan or substitute a microwave safe bowl that has a microwave safe cup or cone placed in the middle of it (to mimic a bundt pan). Pour mixture into the bowl around the cup.
  2. Bake on high for 6 minutes 30 seconds, turn and bake for another 6 minutes 30 seconds on high. Remove from oven and cover bowl with a dish and let stand for 5 minutes (this finishes the cooking process).
  3. Turn cake over onto dish and remove cone (cup) for a delicious quick dessert.

No Bake Peanut Butter Bars

Makes 24 delicious and peanut-loving bars

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup butter (softened)
-2 cups creamy peanut butter
-2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
-3 cups crispy rice cereal
-1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, stir together the butter, peanut butter and confectioners’ sugar until well blended. Mix in the rice cereal so that it is evenly distributed. Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
  2. In the microwave or over a double boiler, melt chocolate chips, stirring occasionally until smooth. Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the peanut butter bars. Refrigerate until set before cutting into bars.

Crispy Rice Candy

Makes 94, yes 94, candy chunks!

Ingredients:
-2 cups crispy rice cereal
-2 cups dry roasted peanuts
-2 cups miniature marshmellows
-1 cup crunchy peanut butter
-2 pounds white chocolate, chopped

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine cereal, peanuts, marshmallows and peanut butter. Stir until evenly mixed.
  2. In a microwave-safe bowl, or in a double boiler, cook chocolate until melted. Stir occasionally until chocolate is smooth. Stir chocolate into cereal mixture. Mixture will be slightly runny.
  3. Drop by tablespoons onto waxed paper. Let set until firm, 2 hours. Store in an airtight container.

Chocolate Fudge

Makes 1- 8 inch square dish..but who cares, it’s delicious!

Ingredients:
-16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
-1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Directions:

1. Line an 8×8 inch square dish with aluminum foil.
  2. Chop chocolate and place in a large, microwave safe bowl with condensed milk. Microwave on high, stirring once or twice until chocolate is soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oven and stir until completely smooth. Stir in vanilla and walnuts. Spread in prepared pan.
  3. Refrigerate 2 hours, until firm. Cut into squares. 

Banana Pudding

Makes a whopping 10 servings…feed all your friends!

Ingredients:
-8 ounces sour cream
-1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
-1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
-2 cups whole milk
-1 (16 ounce) package vanilla wafer cookies
-4 bananas, peeled and sliced

Directions:

1. In large bowl combine sour cream, whipped topping, pudding mix and milk. Stir well. In the bottom of a trifle bowl or other glass serving dish, put a layer of cookies, then a layer of pudding mixture, then a layer of bananas. Repeat until all ingredients are used. Refrigerate until serving.
  2. Crunch up vanilla wafer cookies onto the top and serve!

All recipes derived from www.allrecipes.com

Jessica is a senior at Bryant University where she is majoring in management and double minoring in marketing and communication.  She holds the position as Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Bryant and was actually one of the first founding members!  Beyond Her Campus Bryant, she is the Vice President of the Bryant Marketing Association and a MyPath Mentor.  She loves working at the Amica Center for Career Education where she manages their marketing and social media efforts but also enjoys her time at the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership and the school's bookstore. When at home in Connecticut, she loves to watch movies with her family, play with her dog, have bonfires with friends, sleepovers with her sister, and scrapbook! Jessica aspires to one day manage her own department of a fortune 500 company, or even run her own company with a little bit of writing on the side!  Upon graduating this coming May, she will jump-start her career at EMC as a Marketing Development Associate in the Marketing Development Program.