6 Reasons Why You MUST Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

If these reasons don’t convince you to vote, nothing will.

1. Your vote DOES count.

Photo credit

This is the most important reason that you vote.  Your vote does matter.  Your vote does count.  All too often, we justify our Voting Day indifference to voting by asking “What difference will one single vote make?” According to Oberlin University, your vote might count more than you think.  If you were playing a game of basketball, would you skip a shot because one point won’t make much difference?  Oberlin thinks that’s a silly way of looking at basketball, and voting isn’t all that different.

2. It’s your duty.

Photo credit

Think of voting as a duty, not a privilege.  It’s part of your job as an American, but it wasn’t always.  Think of all the people who fought for their right to vote in this country.  Don’t take your vote for granted.

3. It’s easy!

Registering to vote and voting is easy!  Almost half of all states allow citizens to register quickly online.  And if your excuse is that you’re away at college on Voting Day, think again!  Call or visit your town hall to be sent an absentee ballot in time for the election.  It’ll only take a few minutes. 

4.You have no right to complain if you don’t!

Photo credit

One of America’s favorite things to do is complain about our politicians –we disagree with them, we blame them, we’re suspicious of them.  But, we do have a chance to vote for them.  If you don’t take advantage of your right to vote, you don’t have a right to complain.

5. Represent your age group.

According to the United States Elections Project, voters aged 18-29 have consistently been the smallest portion of voters since 1984.  And guess who’s consistently the largest?  Voters aged 60+.  Chances are their concerns are much different from your concerns.  Represent yourself and your peers by voting and making your friends vote. 

6. You live in one of the few countries that allows the citizens to choose their leaders.

Photo Credit

Not every country gives its citizens the right to elect their leaders, so don’t take voting for granted.