5 Ways Doing Schoolwork Actually Burns Calories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

So it’s the middle of the semester and the dreaded midterms have finally passed with your motivation following them out the window.  Here are some great motivators to get back on track with your studies!  Below are 5 ways just going about your schoolwork and studying can actually burn calories-talk about a pick me up!

1. Sitting in the library quiet section studying for a few hours?

You’re burning around 122 calories per hour!

2. Typing away on that term paper?

You’re burning around 102 calories per hour!

3. Carrying that heavy backpack to and from class multiple times each day?

You’re burning around 279 calories per hour! (with a weighted 15lb. bag)

4. Taking notes in class?

You’re burning around 107 calories per hour!

5. Walking up and down the stairs in the unistructure and your hall?

You’re burning around 29 calories for every 3 minutes of stair climbing!

Devon is a senior at Bryant University.  As a Marketing and Communications major, Her Campus is everything that Devon loves. Her hometown of Rutland, Vermont is where she was born and raised.  She attended Philadelphia University for her freshmen year of college as a Fashion Industry Management major, but discovered her true passion was the business aspect of the fashio industry, leading her to transfer to a nationally ranked business school, Bryant University.  Devon is the co-president of the Her Campus chapter at Bryant and is also a Research Assistant in the school's Office of Planning and Institutional Research.  You will see Devon on campus organizing HC events, running around finishing projects, or hanging out with her friends.  Devon's passions include: writing, dance, the ocean, and spending time with the people she loves.  
Hillary Coombs is a junior at Bryant University studying International Business and Marketing minoring in Chinese and Spanish. She works during the summers at Westminster Tool blogging and updating all social media accounts as well as interning in the International Affairs office. During the fall of 2012, Hillary studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain where she held a marketing internship and perfected her Spanish language. At Bryant, she works in the Office of Planning and Institutional Research gathering crucial university data and presenting it through documents to the President, Deans, and other faculty members of Bryant University. Aside from working and studying Hillary is a member of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and Omicorn Delta Kappa. Hillary finds peace of mind staying active and running in local 5K races.