5 Tricks to Cut 5 Minutes Out of Your Makeup Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

1.    2 IN 1

Makeup products that can pull double duty are blessings sent from the heavens.  BB cream is a miracle product, combining a primer, moisturizer, foundation, and sunscreen. But you can get way more out the things that you already own. Try:

• Smudging pencil liner all over your lids for a quick shadow- just avoid using black or you will end up looking like a raccoon.
  • Dabbing lipstick onto the apples of your cheeks for a quick blush (don’t forget to blend!)
  • Blending concealer on your lids while you have it out and save time on applying eyeshadow primer.

2.    Plan Ahead and Lay it Out

As you pick out your outfit for the next, try thinking about the makeup that will go with it.  If you’re thinking of a pink lip to match that sundress, or a smokey eye for a sultry look, get those products out!  Better yet, lay out all of your makeup on your counter or vanity in the order that you use them.  That way, you can put the products away as soon as you’re done with each one. 

Bonus: You’ll save time digging through your make-up bag each time you need a different item.

3.    Rough Draft

Who doesn’t love winged eyeliner so sharp it could kill a man?  When your liner looks good, you feel good.  Sadly, it’s way too easy turn that thin flick of the wrist into an inch thick smudge from all of the “evening off” you have to do to make your eyes match.  Precision and time crunches don’t mix. Try using a small angled brush and a dark shadow to draw your liner, and then fill in with the liquid.  Works every time. 

Bonus: Clean up that wing with a thin brush and some concealer.

4.    Get into the Rhythm

It is so easy to get lost in time perfecting your contour or smoking out your lids.  Create a makeup playlist to keep you on task and on track.  Figure out how long you want to spend on your brows, eyes, contour, etc. and create a playlist that goes along with that schedule.  When that Adele ends and Rihanna comes on, you’ll know it’s time to hurry up and apply mascara!  Listening to music while doing your beauty routine is also a great way to boost your mood and help get you more awake.

5.   Always have a five minute plan in place.

We get it. Sometimes the alarm doesn’t go off or your boss calls you in early.  We all have those days where you literally have ten minutes from the moment your feet hit the floor to the moment you have to be out that door.  On days like these you could run around like a chicken with your head cut off, slapping on foundation and mascara like it’s nobody’s business.  Or you could come up with a five minute plan with all of your makeup must haves, and avoid the stress.  Stick to the basics when you don’t have time for the full face: concealer, mascara, lipstick, and some blush or bronzer.  Stick to pencil liners and creamy lipsticks and avoid the messy liquids.  And don’t rush! The faster you’re going, the more likely you are to smudge that black mascara all over you’re under eye. Remain calm, cool, and collected.