5 Things To Do in Rhode Island This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Rhode Island may be the smallest state in the country, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any fun things to do.  After being cooped up for last few months, we’re all itching to get outside and enjoy what spring has to offer.  Below are 5 things every Bryant student should do while they’re in the ocean state.

Federal Hill: The next time you and your friends are looking for something to do, just hop on the highway and head towards Providence.  Right off exit 21 on Interstate 95 is a place called Federal Hill, or as Rhode Islanders like to call it, “Little Italy”.  Federal Hill is known for their award-winning restaurants, so make sure you go with an appetite. Places like Venda Ravioli, Constantino’s, and so many others offer their own homemade pasta and outdoor seating…how could you resist?  But, if you’re just looking for a quick bite to eat (and something that’s a little cheaper), then the place to be is at Caserta’s Pizza.  After dinner, make sure to hit up one of the bakeries and buy everything in sight.  Okay, maybe not everything, but it’s too difficult to pick just one delicious dessert!

Narragansett: Why not head down to the beach for the day?  The weather might not be warm enough for bikinis and ocean swims, but it’s still fun to explore!  Located across from Narragansett beach are a bunch of little shops that sell anything from homemade jewelry to sweatshirts, t-shirts, and more.  Another hotspot in “Gansett” is Iggy’s Doughboys and Chowder House.  Known for their clam cakes and “chowdah” (yes, they’ve even won awards for it!), this place is always a favorite with the locals and visitors.  Oh, and if you’re feeling rather spontaneous and adventurous, the Block Island Ferry departs just minutes away from Iggy’s!

Frozen lemonade: There’s nothing better than drinking a cold, refreshing lemonade on a perfect spring day.  We’ve all heard of Del’s, right? I mean, let’s face it…if you go to school in Rhode Island, chances are you’ve heard how popular this is.  However, have you ever heard of Mr. Lemon before?  Mr. Lemon is RI’s hidden gem of frozen refreshments.  Not everyone knows about it, but when they do, they seriously can’t get enough.  This mom and pop shop is only about 15 minutes away from campus, and located right off Rt. 146.  With different flavors every week, they sure know how to keep their customers happy! Be sure to visit them on opening day which is April 1st.

Newport:  Besides shopping and going to the beach, there’s so much to do in Newport that could literally keep you entertained for hours.  In fact, tourists usually vacation here for weeks at a time!  Let’s start off with one of the 12 mansion tours Newport has to offer.  How fantastic does that sound?  Spend your day vicariously living through the lives of the people who once owned these houses and hope that someday, when you’re CEO of the largest corporation in the world, you’ll be able to own one yourself.  Hey, you never know!  Another fun activity in Newport is to take a boat tour.  What better way to get a picturesque view of this beach town than from the ocean?  For more fun-filled activities, visit the Discover Newport website here

Garden City:  Spring is all about spending all your free time outside, isn’t it?  The next time you feel like a shopping spree is in order, be sure to check out Garden City in Cranston, RI.  This outdoor shopping plaza (across the street from Alex and Ani) has just about everything you’re looking for and is only 20 minutes from Bryant!  When it’s time to take a break, stop by Pinkberry for some fro-yo or Newport Creamery for an Awful Awful, a delicious milkshake and a Rhode Island favorite.  And remember, during this shopping trip, be sure to hit up Cohoe’s for the best deals and steals.  Seriously, what’s better than leaving a store with the cutest clothes at an insanely low price?  Nothing!

Happy spring, Bryant!!

Photo Credits:

http://3rdhouseparty.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/depasqualesquare.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4hrkroAZHgI/SIK1nF6X2TI/AAAAAAAAAXA/4jG0LvLcG-U/s400/creepy_lemon_man.jpg

http://peyoteka.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/00172_newport-ri-aerial.jpg

Devon is a senior at Bryant University.  As a Marketing and Communications major, Her Campus is everything that Devon loves. Her hometown of Rutland, Vermont is where she was born and raised.  She attended Philadelphia University for her freshmen year of college as a Fashion Industry Management major, but discovered her true passion was the business aspect of the fashio industry, leading her to transfer to a nationally ranked business school, Bryant University.  Devon is the co-president of the Her Campus chapter at Bryant and is also a Research Assistant in the school's Office of Planning and Institutional Research.  You will see Devon on campus organizing HC events, running around finishing projects, or hanging out with her friends.  Devon's passions include: writing, dance, the ocean, and spending time with the people she loves.