5 Healthy DIY Dinner Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

For all of our Townhouse readers, we know how hard it is to find time to cook a healthy and delicious meal when you’re juggling the chaos of school. But as you’ll see with these five recipes, all you need is 20 minutes and a few ingredients for a meal that’s healthier than Easy Mac and faster than delivery.

1. Italian Chicken

An italian favorite, this meal takes only a few minutes if you prep it the night before or in the morning before class! All you’ll need is chicken breasts and Italian salad dressing. Place the chicken in a Ziploc bag with about 2 tablespoons of dressing per breast. Shake the bag to coat thoroughly and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or overnight (so easy to do before class or the night before!) When you’re ready to cook, heat a skillet over medium heat and coat with nonstick spray or olive oil. Place the chicken breasts in the pan, but make sure you discard the dressing it was marinating in! Cook about 4-5 minutes on each side until juices run clear and the inside is no longer pink. OPTIONAL (but totally delicious): drizzle a little dressing over the chicken during the last couple minutes of cooking. It’ll turn into a yummy glaze! Side dishes for a balanced meal – whole grain rice, steam-bag veggies.

2. Spaghetti with Mixed Veggies

This is perfect for all the vegetarians out there, although you could easily add in slices of chicken or turkey as well if you wanted to. It’s also easily customizable with any kind of veggies you have on hand or any pasta substitute, like spaghetti squash, shirataki noodles, or gluten-free pasta. Cook one pound of spaghetti according to package directions, drain and set aside. In a separate skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add 2 cloves chopped garlic. Add in ½ cup each of chopped mushrooms and chopped peppers. Cook until veggies are tender, then pour in 1 can of diced tomatoes. Cook until warm, toss with pasta and serve.

3. Pizzadillas

If you have a craving for pizza that simply cannot be squashed, look no further than the pizzadilla. Not only is it way faster than calling for delivery, but it’s much healthier as well! Lay a whole wheat tortilla in a pan coated with nonstick spray, over medium heat. On one half of the tortilla, place any combination of cheese, meats, or veggies your heart desires. Fold the tortilla in half and heat on both sides until the cheese melts and it’s heated through. Serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping!

4. One Pot Pasta

There’s nothing easier than throwing all the ingredients for a great meal into one pot and having dinner ready 10 minutes later – talk about minimal effort and maximum impact! Here’s what you do: place the following in a large pot – 1 pound pasta of your choice, 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes, half an onion sliced, 1 cup frozen peas, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 4 cups water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and lower heat until most of the water has evaporated (about 8-10 minutes) – stir frequently to prevent pasta from sticking! No need to drain, just toss with Parmesan cheese and enjoy.

5. Mac & Cheese

And finally, what college girl doesn’t love mac & cheese? Trust me, this is way better than easy mac, faster than recipes that call for baking it in the oven, and much healthier than the boxed mixes. Rinse ½ pound of elbow macaroni in a colander before cooking. In a pot, pour in the rinsed pasta, 2 cups of milk (I’ve tried this with almond milk, soy milk, and skim milk and they’re all great), and 1 teaspoon of salt. Slowly bring the milk and macaroni to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Continue cooking and stirring until milk is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Once milk has completely evaporated, stir in 1 ½ cups cheese of your choice and turn off the heat. Cover the pot and let sit for 5 minutes for cheese to melt, then stir and serve!

Devon is a senior at Bryant University.  As a Marketing and Communications major, Her Campus is everything that Devon loves. Her hometown of Rutland, Vermont is where she was born and raised.  She attended Philadelphia University for her freshmen year of college as a Fashion Industry Management major, but discovered her true passion was the business aspect of the fashio industry, leading her to transfer to a nationally ranked business school, Bryant University.  Devon is the co-president of the Her Campus chapter at Bryant and is also a Research Assistant in the school's Office of Planning and Institutional Research.  You will see Devon on campus organizing HC events, running around finishing projects, or hanging out with her friends.  Devon's passions include: writing, dance, the ocean, and spending time with the people she loves.