2013 Grammy’s Fashion Re-Cup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

The 55th Grammys took place last week Sunday. For at least two hours we all put aside our homework and lounged in the living room of our dorm rooms and townhouses to watch the festivities go down. As much as we enjoyed oogling over Adam Levine and Johnny Depp’s 15 second cameo, the best part was definitely the Red Carpet Fashion! Days before the 55th Grammy’s aired CBS released a strict dresscode so J. Lo circa 2000, in almost not there green dress, does not happen again. Basically CBS put their foot down said to the female celebs: No side boobs, deep v-necks, nipplegates or whole boobs hanging out (Lil Kim anyone?)

For the most part the most of the ladies played by the rules and some just threw the dress code right out. Let’s get into some of our favorite looks shall we?

Fresh of her stunning Superbowl Halftime Show performance, Beyonce chose this unexpected crepe colorblocked black and white jumpsuit from London-based designer Osman. The choice was a refreshing style twist. We are used to seeing beyonce dazzle in form fitting mermaid dresses with sparkles and sequins. This choice was subdued but its chic simplicity spoke volumes. The songstress completed her chich look with black “Kalpa” Jimmy Choo heels and a slicked back ponytail. She finished off with red lipstick to complete the classic color palette. Oh- Beyonce also happened to be one of the celebs who stuck by the strict dress code. 

Beyonce’s former Destiny’s Child bandmate, Kelly Rowland, probably took that dress code and threw it right out the window – probably after she shredded it into pieces and rolled her eyes at it. The ‘Motivation’ singer upped the sex factor in this cutout Georges Chakra gown. She was easily one of out favorite looks of the night. She pulled her long straight hair back and chose neutral makeup so the dress could take center stage – as it should!

Taylor Swift almost never, ever, ever dissapoints us with her red carpet gowns – this year was no different. We thought she looked absolutely stunning, angelic, and age appropriate in this white J. Mendel gown. The hair and the makeup? so perfect! She looked radiant!

We’re surely not the only ones who thought Rihanna looked like a Princess in her red custom made Azzedine Alaia gown. Gone are the days when Rihanna experimented with avant garde fashions. As much as we loved her ability to take fashion risks we really enoyed this ultra feminine look with the sultry ombre waves. This dress is one of our Bryant Senior Ball dress inspirations. Gorgeous!

Jennifer Lopez – and her right leg – worked their way around that dress code. The singer/actress upped the sex ante by exposing her entire right leg in an otherwise simple one shoulder black gown. We were not Wowed by the dress but J. Lo knows what works for her and she rocked that dress with confidence. We love seeing women own their looks – she was working it in her Anthony Vaccarello gown.

And there you have it! Our Top Five Fave looks at the 55th Grammy’s Awards from the Her Campus Bryant Headquarters. If you have any other faves not mentioned above please comment below and let us know!

Devon is a senior at Bryant University.  As a Marketing and Communications major, Her Campus is everything that Devon loves. Her hometown of Rutland, Vermont is where she was born and raised.  She attended Philadelphia University for her freshmen year of college as a Fashion Industry Management major, but discovered her true passion was the business aspect of the fashio industry, leading her to transfer to a nationally ranked business school, Bryant University.  Devon is the co-president of the Her Campus chapter at Bryant and is also a Research Assistant in the school's Office of Planning and Institutional Research.  You will see Devon on campus organizing HC events, running around finishing projects, or hanging out with her friends.  Devon's passions include: writing, dance, the ocean, and spending time with the people she loves.