sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

20 Things People from Vermont are Tired of Being Asked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

1. What state is Vermont in?

Unfortunately, Americans are not fully educated on state locations.  We get asked this more than we should.  When we say it’s near Massachusetts, they pretend like they know where Vermont is located all of a sudden. No ya don’t! You just asked what state it was in! 

2. Why don’t you say the “T” in mountain?

Each state pronounces words differently, we just happen to not say out “t’s”.  We grew up with our parents and our parent’s parents not pronouncing “t”.  We were born not to say it.

3. Have you ever been to the Ben and Jerry’s factory?

Yes, we have been to the Ben and Jerry’s Factory multiple times.  Yes we still go through the tour to get a sample of a new flavor.  And no, we don’t think it is weird we visit the ice cream cemetery.  When your favorite flavor is discontinued, you will pay respect too.

4. Do you only drink Long Trail?

Of course we represent homemade Vermont brews, but we also explore other popular beers.

5. Do you put maple syrup on everything?

Though we love our maple syrup, we only use real Vermont maple syrup, none of that fake Aunt Jemima’s maple syrup.  We do serve maple candy, maple cotton candy, and maple creemees at our fairs.  We are human’s and have taste buds, so no we don’t put maple syrup on everything, that would be gross.

6. Do you live on/ near a farm?

The closest farm to us is about 10 minutes away.  When traveling out of town, you are bound to drive past a farm. 

7. Do you have modern day technology?

Yes, most people have Smartphones.  Many of our retail stores accept the chip in credit cards.  We may consist of mountains and farms, but we keep up with modern day technology. 

8. Do you ski/snowboard?

Skiing or snowboarding is more of a tourist attraction.  Tourists come yearly to the mountains for a vacation or a getaway weekend.  Living near the mountain year-round, skiing can get expensive real fast for the locals.  Vermonters do ski and snowboard, but it is more of a tourist attraction.  

9. What are leaf peepers

These are out-of-state visitors that come to Vermont to specifically look at the leaves in the fall when they change color.  We get it, the leaves are pretty. We have a question for you leaf peepers: how is staring at leaves for a long period of time entertaining?

10. Why do you say creemee and not ice cream?

Creemee is soft serve ice cream.  We can tell if you’re an out-of-stater when you make your ice cream order. 

11. How many flannels do you own?

Every Vermonter owns at LEAST one flannel.  It’s the go-to item when you have nothing else to wear.  They go with everything, and keep you warm in the cooler months.  Flannels are the greatest clothing ever invented.

12. What is mud season?

This is the time of year when the ground is muddy.  We even hold mudding competitions, such as driving a truck through a mud hole the fastest.  It can also mean going into the mountains to go off roading in the mud.

13. Are there really more cows than people?

With a large number of ranches and milk farms, cows have outnumbered the human population in Vermont.

14. What is there to do for fun?

Year-round there are countless outdoor events to do for fun.  In the summer there is hiking, swimming in the lakes, kayaking, biking, and so on.  In the colder months, there is apple picking, snowmobiling, skiing, snowboarding, sledding, etc.    

15. Do you know where the Vermont Country Store is?

Yes, but we don’t go out of our way to visit the store. But we do go to get free samples of homemade fudge or freshly made cheese.

16. How many teddy bears from the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory do you own?

We hold a small collection, usually three or four, some people have more!  In elementary school, we always had field trips to the Teddy Bear Factory, which helped our collections grow.

17. What are all those buckets attached to the trees?

Sap buckets. Sap drips into these buckets directly from the trees, to then be collected and processed into the delicious form of Vermont maple syrup we grew up with.

18. Do only hippies live in Vermont?

We have a fair amount of hippies, however not everyone in Vermont is a hippy.

19. Do you live near Burlington?

This is one of the most commonly asked questions.  Not everyone who lives in Vermont lives in or near Burlington specifically.  This is like asking everyone who lives in Massachusetts if they live near Boston.  Burlington is considered the “city” of the state, and more well known than our capital, which is Montpellier.

20. Is free cone day a big deal? 

We look forward to free cone day every year.  Who doesn’t love free ice cream, especially Ben and Jerry’s!? Vermont gave the world free cone day. You’re welcome.