12 Ways to Beat The Holiday Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Every year the holidays come around once again and although it can be the happiest time of the year, for many reasons it can make us feel a bit blue.  There are ways to get around this and we wanted to share them with you.  We think the best way to get through the holidays if you aren’t fond of them is to stay busy.  So from all of us here at Her Campus Bryant, let’s beat the holiday blues!

• Get down with your creative self and become the next Brigitte Lacombe.  Take pictures, and we mean lots of them!  Start a scrapbook of this holiday season with the eccentric christmas decorations on houses, the blanket of snow that covers a hill near your house, or even some of your favorite pictures from the ugly sweater party in the near future!
  • Do good for others!  You know that sick ant that your mom is really close with but you have no idea what her first name even is?  Well suck it up and go visit her.  Offer to pick up some take out on your way over from her favorite chinese restaurant!  
  • Pamper yourself.  I know it sounds selfish but every girl deserves a foot rub from the nail place down the street and a body massage from that super expensive spa.  Who says you don’t deserve it?
  • Get social…super social.  You need pictures for your ugly sweater portion of your scrapbook so throw a party!  An ugly sweater party!  It’s fun to see who walks in wearing what and nothing else says fun during the holidays other than Bailey’s Irish Cream splashed in some hot cocoa.  And if you’re not 21 then a little bit of hot apple cider won’t hurt nobody either.
  • Stalk yourself!  That sounds creepy but head onto your Facebook and stalk yourself!  Grab your best friend and sit around your computer laughing at all the ridiculous things you did all year.  Make a resolution to not wear “that” stupid outfit again, to kiss “that” boy on New Year’s Eve, and to spend more time with “those” friends.  Your pictures tell a lot!
  • Take naps.  You just spent a whole semester of late library nights and 8am’s so take it upon yourself to catch up on sleep and don’t feel bad when it hits 4pm and you’re ready for a nap…take one, two, and even three!
  • Become the next Emerald..BAM!  Break out a cookbook with a few friends and get bakin’.  Make a list of 15 recipes; ranging from the healthiest of health to the sweetest of sweet.  Who knows maybe a few holiday cookies can be whipped up!
  • Retreat, again and again and again. Find your favorite spot in town and make it a habit to go there for ten minutes each day just to simply watch the people walk by, the sun set, or the sun rise!  It’s a great “thinking” spot for anyone, trust me. My favorite spot is the beach near my house….can’t wait to retreat there this break.
  • Ride solo and cry it out.  None of your friends really want to hear your sob stories so just ride it solo when you need a good cry.  Did you know holding in those bad hormones can actually kill brain cells?  See, crying is good for you.
  • Don’t take on too much.  When people take on too much they start to become irritable.  It’s okay to say no this holiday season because you have to think about yourself first.
  • Take advantage of $5 Tuesdays.  Every Tuesday during break, make it a point with your friends to catch a movie at your local theatre..after all who can beat $5 Tuesdays?!
  • Actually help mom decorate this year  If your mom is not like my mom, then she most likely will let you help decorate the house this holiday season.  (Sorry mom I had to call you out!)  Your mom would love to have an extra hand to carry around boxes, help her replace some of the light bulbs, and sweep up the fake snow from her village on the mantle.  Plus, it will keep you busy for a few days!
Jessica is a senior at Bryant University where she is majoring in management and double minoring in marketing and communication.  She holds the position as Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Bryant and was actually one of the first founding members!  Beyond Her Campus Bryant, she is the Vice President of the Bryant Marketing Association and a MyPath Mentor.  She loves working at the Amica Center for Career Education where she manages their marketing and social media efforts but also enjoys her time at the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership and the school's bookstore. When at home in Connecticut, she loves to watch movies with her family, play with her dog, have bonfires with friends, sleepovers with her sister, and scrapbook! Jessica aspires to one day manage her own department of a fortune 500 company, or even run her own company with a little bit of writing on the side!  Upon graduating this coming May, she will jump-start her career at EMC as a Marketing Development Associate in the Marketing Development Program.