10 Things You Will Learn During Your First Month of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

1)   Mom’s cooking was more of a blessing than we ever thought!

Skipping mom’s homemade chicken cutlets and baked ziti didn’t seem like that big of a deal, until college started. Now we’re begging our moms to send us meals in the mail. After three days of traveling, it’ll still probably be better than what they are serving here.

2)   We actually love driving, and we miss it now that we don’t have it

Admit it, we all called “noses” on not being the one to drive when we were home, but now that we are stuck on a stranded island (it feels) with half a case of water, ramen noodles, and an endless supply of plastic silverware, we would do anything to be lugging my friends around up and down the highway blaring Taylor Swift, while riding on E for three days.

3)   Sleep is actually so important

Staying up until 2am every night in the summer watching Grey’s Anatomy was the perfect touch to a long hot summer day. But now, we are lucky if we can stay up past 10:30 without our eyes fluttering shut for the night. Sleep is indeed a good thing, and the less naps we take, the more we appreciate sleep. 

4)   Department of Public Safety is actually not as scary as they seem

They’re just looking out for you. Department of public safety is not your local police department breaking up your small get-together indoor high school parties. DPS at college is just there to make sure you make it home….. alive!

5)   You miss your girlfriends from home… a lot

You’re all scattered across the country, and at first it was cool to be on your own. The idea of catching up during Thanksgiving break was thrilling and exciting, but now every little thing reminds you of them. The new friends you make are awesome, but every other word that they say reminds you of your high school gals. 

6)   Night classes are not as cool as they seem.

You wake up at 8am to get to your 9am. You lounge around your quad with some friends until your next class at 12. You’re finally out at 1:15 and you think you’re done for the day….. But you’re not…. You still have that 6-9 once a week night class. AKA the ultimate way to actually test your learning standard. Try sitting in a room for three hours straight then tell us ADHD isn’t a real condition.

7)   You’re much closer to your family than you thought

The people we wished to be away from for the last 18 years of our lives are the first people we think about when we wake up and the last people we think about before we go to bed. Our annoying siblings who probably said “I hate you” to us before we left, are our long distant best friends. Being away from home has made us appreciate our family that much more. 

8)   D1 Boys have HUGE egos

Freshman girls lets be real. We all want the captain of the baseball team, and the quarter back of the football team. And they know we want them too. So they will do whatever they want and think they can get away with it. Head’s up now ladies, let’s not give them the satisfaction! The guy across the hall from you is probably cuter, and nicer, and more respectful than some dumb jock. This is college, It’s no love story like Eric and Jessie!

9)   There’s no such thing as privacy.

You. Are. Never. Alone. Make sure to cherish your time in your own room, in your own bed, by yourself next time you go home. Every time you think you’re alone, someone will stroll through your dorm door. You’re never truly fully alone until it’s late at night and your roommates are asleep.

10)   You’re paying for this – get the most out of it as you can

All of the “Free Food” “Free T-shirts” “Free Prizes” “Free Games” Free Memories” are they all really free? Go to all of the events your school plans. That t-shirt you just won, is worth $26,000

Boston Ma. Undergraduate at Bryant University. 
Bryant University Class of 2019I can watch a whole series on Netflix in less than a month and feel no remorse... same with eating an entire pint of Phish Food.