10 Things All Rhode Islanders Want Non- Rhode Islanders to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

1. We love being able to get anywhere in the state in less than an hour. Anything that takes more than 45 minutes is considered a road trip- you’d better pack some snacks, a cooler full of water, and map out some rest stops along the way. We’re deeply concerned for you when you say it takes five hours to drive home from school.

2. Anything more than two towns away probably isn’t worth it. Please don’t ask us to drive all the way from Smithfield to Warwick.

3. This is a bubbler:

This is a fountain:

They clearly aren’t the same thing. We aren’t really sure where all the confusion comes from.

4. You shouldn’t buy an Awful Awful from Newport Creamery unless it’s Awful Awful Mondays during the summer. We will hold out until we can buy one, get one free.  

5. If you go to the beach and don’t get Iggy’s Doughboys, what was the point of going to the beach? You should also get some Del’s Lemonade while you’re at it. But please, for the love of God, don’t eat it with a spoon.

6. Coffee milk is the nectar of the gods. And no, it is NOT coffee with milk in it, OR milk with coffee in it.

7. Everyone actually does know each other. Only in Rhode Island can you be introduced to someone at a party and find out that their uncle is married to your mother’s second cousin.

8. North Providence, East Providence, and Providence are all separate towns. However, South Providence IS part of Providence. Smithfield and North Smithfield aren’t the same things, but Cranston West and Cranston East are both part of the same town. You’ll sort it out eventually.

9. Yes, most Rhode Islanders do attempt to move away at some point. And yes, almost all of us do come back.

10. Rhode Island is not Long Island. We swear we aren’t from New York. 

Don’t forget to check out our article on 5 Things Non- Rhode Islanders Think About Rhode Island!