Style

Why the Mob Wife Aesthetic Should Be the Last of ‘The Aesthetics’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Fur, black leather, leopard print, designer bags, chunky gold jewelry, and teased hairdos. If your Instagram and TikTok have suddenly become flooded with these images, you may be familiar with the Mob Wife Aesthetic which is the latest aesthetic in a seemingly never ending stream of others, such as the Old Money Aesthetic or Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic, to take over the internet and influence the buying patterns of Gen Z teens and young adults.

The aesthetic draws its influence from a long lineage of fashionably dressed Italian American women, who appear on “Real Housewives of New Jersey,” “The Godfather,” and most notably, “The Sopranos,” which is having its 25 year anniversary this year.

Over the past year, aesthetics and micro-trends have been decidedly minimalist and emphasized cleanliness and hidden displays of wealth. The Clean Girl Aesthetic, Stealth Wealth, and Old Money trends dominated in 2023; aspirational at best, unattainable for most at worst, these trends told women to be quiet, classy, “perfect”.

The Mob Wife Aesthetic is a clear response to these pressures, as it unabashedly highlights loud, messy, imperfect women who are not afraid of conspicuous consumption. While this is a welcome change of pace from previous aesthetics, it is not without its detractors. Some argue that it is appropriating Italian American style, which has previously been looked down upon, and glorifying the spoils of organized crime.

Others ask the valid question: Do we need to have aesthetics in the first place?

Aesthetics and trends lead to overconsumption and waste as we buy clothes and accessories for the latest trend and then eventually donate or dispose of them after the trend runs its course. It also asks us to reinvent ourselves every few months to fit what is “in” at the time. We must be classy for “old money,” all natural for “clean girl aesthetic,” coquettish for “Barbie” and pink everything trends; it is exhausting quite frankly. 

For 2024, I propose not a trend, fad, or aesthetic, I simply propose that we find our own personal style. What makes you feel confident? When you walk in a store, what makes you smile? If you never saw an Instagram reel or TikTok video touting the latest style you should buy into, what would you wear?

Trends and aesthetics can be a fun way to introduce new styles to your wardrobe, but it should not come at the expense of losing your individuality

Alexandra Tucker is a writer at Brown's Her Campus chapter from Boston, Massachusetts. She writes on style, culture, food, and Providence. Alex is currently a junior at Brown University, concentrating in Public Health and Health and Human Biology. She is a volunteer at The Miriam Hospital in Providence, is a member of the Women's Health Advocacy Group, manages the social media account of Fashion @ Brown, and belongs to the Kappa Delta sorority. In her free time, Alex enjoys doing yoga, frequenting cute cafes around Providence and Boston, doing New York Times crossword puzzles, and exploring Brown's campus on foot with a good podcast.