This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

When I first got to Brown, I was both excited and overwhelmed by the amount of clubs and activities on campus. The activities fair was a blur, as there were so many different opportunities to explore. At the back of the main green there were a few tables occupied by the club sports teams. I am so glad I saw those tables that day. All in all, Brown has club sports teams for baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, cycling, field hockey, figure skating, GAMMA, golf, ice hockey, men’s and women’s lacrosse, polo, men’s rugby, running, men’s and women’s soccer, swimming, taekwondo, tennis, men’s and women’s ultimate frisbee, men’s and women’s volleyball, sailing, shotokan karate, and skiing. There is a sport for every athlete, and some teams require tryouts while others allow any student to join. Personally, I joined the women’s club lacrosse team, and it has been a highlight of my first semester here at Brown. Playing club lacrosse, I’ve noticed some key reasons why playing a club sport can enhance your college life.

Meeting new people

We all have our own circles of friends, which is great. However, opening yourself up to different people is still always a good idea. Joining a club sport gives you a group of people with a shared interest, which can help friendships form quickly. You also get to meet people in all grades, which is nice and can be different from the typical friend group you hang out with on a daily basis. 

Source of exercise

One of the best parts about sports is that they offer an opportunity to get some exercise in. Most sports have a cardio element, which can help you stay fit. Exercising everyday is good for your physical and mental health, and playing a club sport can contribute to that. Going to the Nelson can be fun, but it’s often nice to switch it up by participating in a sport.

Small commitment

Playing a varsity sport in college is a full time commitment, including obligations everyday such as lifts and practices. With club sports, there are less practices and workouts. For club lacrosse, we practice twice a week and have games every few weeks. There is much less time required than playing at the D1 level, which gives club athletes more time for other things like schoolwork and a social life. Club athletes still make a commitment to their team and need to attend games and practices, but their sport does not take up their whole schedule.

Game days

The hard work you put in during practice culminates on game days. While all of the lead up is fun, the real thrill of sports comes from the games. There is nothing like game day excitement and working with your team to get a win. Win or lose, playing together is the best and representing your school is a special feeling. Away games are especially exciting because you get to ride to the game with your teammates and see a different college campus. Home games are also fun since you can invite your friends to come watch you play.

Even if you’ve never played a sport, there are a number of teams that accept anyone on their roster. Don’t be afraid to reach out to a team captain and see if there is a spot for you or a tryout opportunity. Club sports are a great way to stay in shape, make friends, and enjoy competition. My college experience so far would have been incredibly different–less fun and less exciting–if I hadn’t made the decision to play. Go Bears!

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.
Caleigh is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Brown University chapter of Her Campus. She is in the class of 2021 studying History and French. She has previously held an internship position at Latina Magazine and worked as a social media editor for the Brown Daily Herald. She currently works as a digital marketing consultant for SiO Beauty. Caleigh grew up in New York City, where in her free time she explored neighborhoods looking for the best sushi and pizza, sharing her experiences through her food Instagram @food_overdudes.