Why Every 90s Girl (Rightfully) Wants to be Phoebe Buffay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Most of those who know me have some grip on my immense adoration of the classic 90s sitcom Friends. My dorm room wall is adorned with a full size poster of the six main characters sharing milkshakes and I have seen every episode just about a hundred times. And I know I’m not alone—Friends fanatics have been faithfully watching reruns across the country since the show’s end in 2004.

While most people remember Jennifer Aniston’s lovable girl-next-door Rachel Green or Courtney Cox’s overly competitive Monica Geller, I’d like to think neither of these characters is the show’s real gem. Rather, the charming and eccentric Phoebe Buffay, played by Lisa Kudrow, truly steals the show. She’s whimsical, lovable, and as her fiancé Mike describes her in season ten, “wonderfully weird.” Whether she’s bashing Pottery Barn, learning to ride a bike for the first time, or belting out the chorus of her hit song Smelly Cat,” Phoebe embraces life in a way that warms the viewers’ hearts.

Since Netflix has finally come to its senses and decided to feature the entire series of Friends (could January 1st be any further?), I decided it was time to show a little love for Miss Buffet. After all, she’s…

Great with puns.

And pickup lines.

Brutally honest.

A lyrical mastermind.

A kid at heart.

But above all, Phoebe loves her friends and would do anything for them.

Here’s to you, Pheebs!

Devon is a Ben & Jerry's enthusiast, F.R.I.E.N.D.S. aficionado, Brown University scholar. Go easy on her, she's new here.