Who Run The World?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

It’s a man’s world. It’s unfortunate, but it’s true; being born with an XY chromosome gives you the upper hand right from the start, even though it’s completely up to chance. Suffrage and the Civil Rights Acts, among other things, have brought women a very long way, but there is still a gap to close. This gap is especially present in the world of business. But as bleak and pessimistic as that sounds, there are organizations and movements that are still working tirelessly to edge out names like Bloomberg, Buffett, and Trump from the headlines and replace them with the likes of Indra Nooyi, Sheryl Sandberg, Cher Wang, and perhaps, one day, you.

Here at Brown, we are fortunate enough to have an organization called Women in Business (WIB) available to us. This group operates year-round to present business education, mentorships, and events to Brown students to fully equip them with the knowledge they need to become confident businesswomen, entrepreneurs, leaders, and other exciting careers. They provide a supportive community of dedicated individuals working toward obtaining the correct leadership skills and education required to enter a wide variety of fields.

Aditi Bhatia, the WIB president, summarized their mission best: “We hope to be able to expose our members to a broad array of industries and professions, so that they are able to pursue a career in something they are passionate about. We also aim to create a close-knit community of students across a variety of backgrounds that share a common interest in business.”

WIB works primarily through hands-on experience, exposing their members firsthand to active players in the business world, in addition to hosting events and educational opportunities. Some past events have included trips to New York to visit firms like Google, Bloomingdales, and HBO, a “conversations series” for intimate discussions with female executives, and an exclusive shopping event with J Crew to ensure their members were dressed for success. These are just a few examples of the many activities WIB offers its members to get them well acquainted with potential career paths. Their mentorship program connects members with Brown alumni in the business world, providing them with real world examples of success in life after Brown. Through all of the events put on by the organization, Brown women gain a well-developed perspective of the working world beyond the ivy-covered walls of Brown.

The Women in Business organization offers students ample opportunity to explore a number of options for their futures, all the while contributing to their growth as independent adults. An organization like WIB is a positive resource that college women can utilize to navigate their way through the frightening concept that is “the future,” and is definitely a resource everyone should take advantage of. Whether you join simply to gain a little insight into another possibility for your future, or because you’re serious about want to jumpstarting your career, these women can either help you personally or direct you to someone you can. So keep up the great work, ladies; it is undoubtedly changing lives.

Christina is a senior at Poly High School, where she is an editor of her high school's yearbook and former member of the pole vault team. She is also a devoted Camp Fire USA member and volunteer. Christina enjoys reading classic literature , watching 80's movies and pitching tents. She hopes to pen the next Great American Novel or start her own online publication after obtaining a degree in English, Journalism, or Creative Writing.