This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Shoutout to our girl’s on Varsity Women’s soccer! No, but really, the women’s soccer team is currently in one of the most incredible seasons in recent history. Right now, their stats are 7-1-1; they are killing it. I chatted with Senior Celia Story about the teams’ successes, and how it feels to have finally earned recognition from the Brown community.

Question: What separates the team this year from past years that is causing the team to have such incredible results?

Answer: This season our team has incredible depth which has allowed us to be successful. It’s hard for teams to play against us because instead of having to mark 1 or 2 players out of the game, they have to focus on our entire offense because we are so multifaceted and talented.

Question: As a women’s team, you are often under recognized for your successes, do you feel like this season has changed that?

Answer: I think we have started to recently be properly recognized on campus when people started to realize how incredible our success actually is. Other male athletes have started coming up to us and saying that our program is putting Brown athletics back on the map and that recognition is important.

Question: How does it feel as a female athlete to be treated differently than your male soccer counterparts? 

Answer: I think there is an expectation for male athletes and men’s programs to succeed and do well, which is not always shared for women’s programs. For instance I think when women’s programs don’t have a great season, it’s not that big of a deal, whereas if a men’s program doesn’t do well one season people are up in arms about it.

Go support the girls and watch them tear it up throughout the rest of the season!

I was born and grew up in Los Angeles, California, which had a huge impact on the person I am and the things I care about. I graduated from Brentwood School, and am thrilled to be at Brown! From a young age, writing, fashion, and lifestyle blogging have been some of my strongest passions. Between working for my school newspaper for four years of high school and interning at the lifestyle blog "GOOP," I have really discovered that this is something I am excited about pursuing. Naturally, "her campus" is the perfect platform to extend my interests, and I am excited to explore Brown and share my findings!
Caleigh is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Brown University chapter of Her Campus. She is in the class of 2021 studying History and French. She has previously held an internship position at Latina Magazine and worked as a social media editor for the Brown Daily Herald. She currently works as a digital marketing consultant for SiO Beauty. Caleigh grew up in New York City, where in her free time she explored neighborhoods looking for the best sushi and pizza, sharing her experiences through her food Instagram @food_overdudes.