Valentine’s Day: Forget About the Price Tag!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

It’s almost Valentine’s Day, which means a ladies night out for some and snuggling with your boo for others. Regardless, we all like to look good on V-Day, whether its to show him what he’s missing, show him what he’s getting, or to just feel plain fabulous. Unfortunately, being in college means that the Benjamin’s probably aren’t rolling in as quickly as they are running out.

The first step is to be completely open to a new look for the night. Maybe you planned on wearing a new bodycon dress, but what about considering those sexy leather leggings all the way back in your sock drawer? Perhaps paired with the black peplum shirt you thought you’d worn a few too many times last Fall. With cramped storage space in our dorms, sometimes we forget about the cute tops that we squish in between larger items or the priceless pieces we double hang under our winter coats and cardigans.

After a decent rummage, I have every faith that you will have found the perfect Valentine’s night outfit. It’s awesome. It’s going to break hearts. It’s the outfit. You are going to look like a million dollars. If, however, you still don’t have the edge you thought that dress was going to give you, why not rev up the va va voom with some new accessories. Statement necklaces and costume jewelry is a relatively thrifty way of totally changing an outfit.

As a native New Yorker, I was very skeptical about the shopping options that would be available to me off campus. But, the Providence Place Mall pleasantly surprised me! There are a few stores within the mall that I love to shop for accessories. Overall, shopping for accessories is much cheaper than buying new threads but has the same effect! When you walk into Forever 21, walk directly to the right and you’ll find all the accessories you could ever want. F21 has an amazing inventory when it comes to jewelry. You can easily change up an “old” shirt with a dramatic necklace or earrings. Luckily, Forever 21 seems to be moving in a more dramatic direction with its jewelry designs so it’s always a joy to shop in this section. Another way to spice up make an ensemble brand new is to add an eye-catching headband. This store has an abundance of headbands that you can utilize to create a myriad of looks. Of course, yet another method of creating a new look is to focus on your footwear! Forever 21 has sinfully cheap prices when it comes to shoes and they are perfect for showing off your legs whether you are on a date or on the dance floor.

Another place where you can find accessories and still ball on a budget is Icing by Claire’s. Their website is currently featuring a Metallic Magic theme, which features the embellished nighttime look that is perfect for transforming outfits. Delia’s is another option when searching for new accessories. If a single pendent or delicate earring will complete your look, this store is definitely the place for you. Finally, H&M is and always will remain one of my favorite places to shop. If intricate patters and bold colors are the perfect complement to your outfit, feel free to sift through the accessories section of this fashion franchise.

Now, the most important outfit for you may not even be the going out outfit. We all know that the night is still very young after you finish up your dessert or leave the party scene. All the money you now saved by rediscovering your closet can be used to suit up as a seductress. Cue Destiny’s Child Cater 2 U or whatever hookup song you choose, we’re talking bedroom wear. Luckily, almost all of the aforementioned stores also have a solid lingerie line. Forever 21 has push-up bras for as low as $9.80 and is currently selling lace boy shorts for as low as $5.80. This line has everything from dramatic cheetah prints to delicate lace patterns. A new lingerie look for about two meal credits? I can dig it.

H&M is featuring their Happy Valentine line, which is complete with “bold hues” as well as “frills for a romantic look.” Thongs are priced as low as $6.95 and more intricately designed bras for $14.95. I’m also digging the loose curled bob of the model on the website. Very Marilyn Monroe. Type in the website if you are looking for some after-party outfit inspiration! If you are looking for more fun and flirty patterns, head to Abercrombie and Fitch where they are featuring their new Gilly Hicks line. All push bras are 40% off and there is a 50% of clearance sale being advertised! Last but most definitely not least, Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to indulge in some Victoria’s Secret lingerie, and unleash your wild side (and maybe – just a little – your wallet).

With all these tips, I know everyone is going to look on point during your Valentine’s Day evenings! What other stores do you shop at to save but still look your best?

Isabelle is a native New Yorker from Great Neck, Long Island. She is currently a sophomore at Brown University. Throughly in love with medicine and media, she hopes to become a medical correspondent for a major news outlet. When she isn't DJing for 95.5 WBRU or writing for HerCampus, you can find her on the elliptical watching Scandal. Or, in her room watching Scandal. Depends on the day. She also loves the color green, is obsessed with smoothie making, and loves to rep her Haitian heritage.