This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

The infamous February 14th is upon us– the day where flower sales skyrocket, couples bask in their love on the global stage that is Instagram, and single people (women in particular) are made to feel unworthy and unsatisfied. Given the immense weight of this Hallmark holiday in American society, I thought I’d take this opportunity– as a single gal with very few strong feelings about Valentine’s Day–  to share a few lighthearted V-day facts and thoughts… 

1. Valentine’s Day & Money 

In 2019, Valentine’s Day spending in the United States amounted to $20.7 billion.— that’s almost twice the GDP of Madagascar. 85% of all Valentine’s Day cards are purchased by women, however,  men spend roughly five times as much as women on Valentine’s Day presents. Roughly $5 billion is spent on jewelry for Valentine’s Day each year. Go off, capitalism. 

2. Global Valentine’s Day?

It is safe to say that Valentine’s Day is largely an American holiday. It is celebrated globally, but not remotely on the same financial level as it is in our beloved US of A. Interestingly, several predominantly Muslim countries have actually banned the celebration of Valentine’s day given the holiday’s Christian origins (Saint Valentine). You won’t find public displays of red roses in Iran, Pakistan, Indonesia, or Malaysia, among other countries.

3. Couples & Valentines Day

If you couldn’t already tell based on the countless Instagram stories, people in relationships tend to love Valentine’s Day. Shocker. Interestingly, around 6 million couples actually get engaged on February 14th. If my future boyfriend, however, thinks it’s anything other than the most cliched idea in the world to get down on one knee on Valentine’s day, he will certainly not find himself my fiancé.

4. Reappropriating Valentine’s Day

Based on my preceding words, you might think I’m a total cynic– a bitter, Valentine’s-Day-Hating witch. And while I do cringe at some of the financial data and even more at the Instagram stories, I’m NOT a Valentine’s Day hater. I actually love Valentine’s day, just not the misguided version too many of us engage in. What if we changed our thinking around Valentine’s Day? We could start of course, by simply de-emphasizing it a little bit. You can post on Instagram with your romantic partner on any of the other 364 days of the year. 

But even if we celebrate love on Valentine’s Day (which I think we should), what if we took it as a day to celebrate all kinds of love, not solely romantic love? Sure, buy your girlfriend or boyfriend a box of chocolates, tell them how much you love them. But how about telling your mom or dad, too?  (I make my dad buy me flowers every year on Valentine’s day). Or your best friend. Or maybe someone you haven’t spoken to in a while who makes you smile every time you think about them. Maybe even practice sending a bit of love to someone you’re really pissed at, or to the lady at Dunkin’ who absolutely nails the cream to caramel ratio in your iced coffee. Or, simply, send yourself some extra love (cheesy, I know, but I mean it). Valentine’s day should be a celebration of our love of life, whatever that may mean for you. 

Of course, some of this is easier said than done. A Valentine’s Day spent nursing a fresh heartbreak or even the loss of a friend might be a hard one on which to express your most unbridled love. Those going through this experience, however, might need a good Valentine’s Day the most– the reappropriated Valentine’s day. 

I wish all of my 8 readers (5 or 6 of which are related to me) a happy, healthy, and open-minded Valentine’s Day. 

Addie is a junior from New York City studying History and Religious Studies. Her interests include piano, horseback riding, and dancing Ballet.