Chi Omega Sorority Girls
Chi Omega Sorority Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus

Tips for a Successful Rush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Sorority rush is an intimidating experience regardless of the school you go to; how is someone supposed to make any informed decisions about your personality and character from only a handful of brief conversations!? Though it can be daunting, rushing is a really valuable experience, even if it doesn’t end in you choosing a sorority. Rush is an opportunity to meet dozens of passionate, confident girls on campus who may share your interests that you would not otherwise cross paths with. And if that’s not convincing enough for you, think of it as a great chance to practice your interviewing skills in a low-stakes environment! If you’ve taken this advice to heart, below are some tips to help PNMs (potential new members) who don’t know what to expect or how to act!

1. Be yourself

Ah yes, the ever present cliché, I know. But, hear me out. It’s so important not to attempt to alter  your personality, values, character, interests, or appearance for the sake of getting into a sorority. Rush is about finding the group that’s the right match for you, and if you’re not acting like yourself, you’re more likely to end up surrounded by people you consistently have to change yourself around, which is both counterproductive and exhausting. Be confident in who you are and know that if there’s a right match for you, it will happen. 

2. Wear comfortable shoes

Footwear is way more important than you think it is. You’re standing for four hours minimum each day, sweating from nerves and getting blisters on your heels from walking between the houses. This is a recipe for a grumpy attitude. Wearing shoes that won’t ache as much after standing in them for a few hours will be a massive gamechanger and allow you to focus on the important situation at hand rather than your aching feet. 

3. Answer questions genuinely and honestly

At times, it’s going to feel like an interview rather than a conversation. However, it’s in your best interest to answer questions honestly based how you genuinely feel, rather than giving the answer you think “sounds best”. Not only will your genuineness be very noticeable, but it will also set you apart from those giving textbook answers. For example, you’ll definitely be asked why you want to rush. Take a moment to ask yourself what it is that drew you to sorority rush and give that answer, rather than spewing some jargon-y response about philanthropic endeavors (nothing against that as reasoning, though!)

4. Brainstorm 3 easy conversation points

Though it is the job of those doing the rushing to carry the conversation, being able to quickly fill what could have been an awkward silence with a new question or talking point will go a long way. The ‘sister’ you’re talking to will definitely take note of your easy-going nature, and will without a doubt be relieved that you made her job easier. Plus, bringing in point 3, if some of these topics are things you feel passionate about, your personality will shine through more clearly. When in doubt, compliment an article of clothing! 

5. Don’t let other people’s opinions persuade you

It’s easy to listen to people talk about each sorority and let their opinions and experiences at each house sway your decisions or preferences. There’s a reason you have a good feeling about a certain sorority, even if others don’t share that, and you shouldn’t let that impact your course of action. We are lucky that at Brown, Greek Life doesn’t by any means define your social life, but rather acts as an additional community for girls to lean on. Because of this, you don’t need to be in the same sorority as all of your friends to get a lot out of it! It’s a great way to meet people in different grades or friend groups, so if you vibe well with a group of girls, follow your gut!

Good luck and don’t stress!

Madeleine is a rising junior at Brown University, studying International and Public Affairs with a concentration in Development.
Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.