Wellness > Mental Health

Things to be happy about during a mid-semester funk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Between the overload of midterms, ongoing rain, and the spread of various cold-like illnesses on campus, many people seem to be in a bit of a funk right now. It’s nice that all of the festivities of Halloween are here to lift everyone’s spirits, but if that’s not enough to get you feeling good, there’s plenty of other great things happening. I was feeling slightly down today when it got dark at 6 pm and I had a whole night of schoolwork ahead of me, but then I reminded myself of all of the good and simple things to appreciate. Here’s my list of ten things (in no particular order) to think about if you’re going through the classic mid-semester rut:

1. COVID numbers are down, and testing is optional for fully-vaccinated students
  2. The Blue Room is accepting Flex Points again !!! (I’m not even on meal plan and I’m still excited about this)
  3. Sweater weather 
  4. Professors giving out Halloween candy in class <3
  5. Being busy and having actual plans unlike last year!
  6. The Underground Coffee Shop is open again 
  7. Beautiful fall foliage on campus
  8. Tons of cool events happening on campus and in Providence (guest speakers, concerts, farmers markets, and more)
  9. It’s safe (and allowed) for us to get off campus and travel
  10. So many people are also dealing with the mid-semester funk – you are not alone! 

Pretty soon, we’ll all be going home for Thanksgiving, taking finals and finishing the semester. Even though things might be tough right now, it’s important to enjoy everything we can while we’re here! Especially after last year, we need to make the most of our time, even when professors assign papers due on Halloween and give midterms the day after. If you’re one of the unlucky people in the mid-semester rut, remember all of the good things happening and be thankful for how much better life is than it was a year ago!

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.