Anna Schultz-Cinnamon Rolls Driping With Icing
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Thanksgiving Cinnamon Rolls Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

When I wake up on the morning of Thanksgiving, I am always underwhelmed by the thought of eating breakfast. With a relative already in the kitchen prepping some mysterious side dish, cutting boards teeming with diced vegetables, and a raw turkey usually placed in the middle like a centerpiece, making a fun, fall breakfast is the last thing on our minds. Since the main course is all that anyone can think about, it’s easy to forget about all the possibilities of a pre-feast meal. During an hour-long scroll through TikTok the other day, I came across a genius idea and recipe from the account @thepalatablelife – Overnight Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Icing. Cinnamon rolls are always a good idea, and with a fall flavor, they are an absolutely perfect treat to precede Thanksgiving dinner, as they warm up your palate for the pumpkin pie that will surely be consumed later in the evening. Even better, they can be made a day in advance and refrigerated, so the only step required in the hectic Thanksgiving Day kitchen is a quick use of the oven. I’m so excited to impress my family and make these once I get home! Below is the recipe for these delicious breakfast pastries: 

Ingredients

Pumpkin Dough: 

2 ¼ tsp instant yeast (or one full packet)

2 ½ cups flour

½ cup milk 

3 tbsp butter

¼ cup brown sugar

1 tsp salt 

½ cup pumpkin puree

½ tsp cinnamon 

1 egg

Filling: 

4 tbsp butter

2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

½ cup brown sugar

Maple Icing: 

4 tbsp softened butter

4 tbsp softened cream cheese

1 ½ cups powdered sugar

2 tbsp maple syrup

1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

1. Microwave butter and milk for about 30 seconds until the butter is melted. 

2. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix, then add eggs and instant yeast. Finally, add melted butter and milk combination and mix thoroughly. 

3. Slowly add in the flour, mixing for approximately 5 minutes. 

4. Transfer dough to a greased bowl and chill overnight.

5. The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drop the dough on a floured surface and roll into a rectangle, approximately 12 inches by 18 inches.

6. Melt the butter and brush onto dough. Sprinkle brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice evenly over the rectangle. 

7. Roll the dough into a single log.

8. Once rolled, cut 2 inch thick pieces and place in a greased baking pan. Set aside for 30 min to rise.

9. After they have risen, bake for 20-25 minutes. 

10. For the icing, add butter and cream cheese to a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and maple syrup until combined. 

11. Once the rolls have finished cooking, add icing and serve immediately so they are still warm. Happy Thanksgiving!

Maddie is a junior at Brown from Connecticut. She is concentrating in Economics.
Katharine is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus Brown chapter. She is a Junior concentrating in Public Policy.