you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ten Stages Of Trying To Do Work In The Rock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Girls, how many nights have you spent tirelessly working in the Rock next to three empty coffee cups because you need to finish your paper by midnight? If you are like my friends, you have probably experienced this many times, so you understand the struggle of completing your work sometimes. Even though we would all like to think that we generally stay on top of our work, it’s important to be realistic. Here are the ten stages of a typical day at the Rock for me (and, if you’re being honest with yourself, probably you, too).

1. LOOKING FOR A SEAT

Even though the Rock offers many different places to sit, it is somehow still a challenge to find a seat. I walk up and down the aisles for upwards of 15 minutes, looking for a seat that’s private and quiet, before I actually  find one. This is exponentially worse when you’re with a friend—because many people try to sit in solidarity. This creates a pattern of seating that goes: taken, not taken, taken, not taken. So, to you and your study buddy, well, good luck.

2. SAYING GOODBYE TO YOUR PHONE

Once I sit down, before I take off my coat and unpack my backpack, I usually spend a good 20 minutes scrolling through worthless social media posts on my phone, as well as texting my friends, playing video games, and maybe even online shopping. Let’s face the facts: it’s hard to live without a phone, but it is necessary for prime studying. Although it breaks my heart, I eventually turn off my phone and place it far out of sight.

3. BREAKDOWN NUMBER ONE

After I unpack my backpack, I look at my planner to see what work I need to get done. This usually results in bouts of crying, wondering what I’m doing with my life, questioning my academic skills, etc.

4. THE LITTLE THINGS

Once I pull myself together after breakdown number one, I look at my planner again. Overwhelmed, I decide to start with the easy and/or short assignments. These could be practice problems, an article I have to write, a reader’s response, or really anything that takes less than twenty minutes.

5. READING

Now that I have finished all of my easy tasks, I must face my next challenge: readings. Many Brown students will tell you that you do not have to complete all the readings in order to succeed in the class. However, substantial research done by my lazy self offers substantially evidence that while you may be able to get by without it, you have a much better chance at succeeding in a class if you actually do the readings.

6. BREAKDOWN NUMBER TWO

You’re tired, you want food, your roommate won’t stop texting you, and you just want to go back to your dorm and call it a night. For me, this usually happens while I’m reading, evidenced by the tear marks on my textbook.

7. BATHROOM BREAK AND FOOD

The pressure gets to you, and you break down, again. So, I treat myself to a little bathroom and sustenance break. I like to go downstairs and get tea in the front of the library, as well as snacks like cookies or hummus in the Rock cafe on the first floor. After I eat, I usually feel revitalized and ready to get back to work.

8. GRIND

This is the most important step to success. This is where the magic happens. After hours of struggling to get myself into the prime state for studying, I finally just do it. I grind until my hands are too stiff to even type anymore.

9. SATISFACTION

You did it!!!!! Go ahead and stand up, we will applaud. This is the best feeling in the world, especially because you did it all on your own.

10. REWARD

You deserve a reward after completing the necessary classwork. School is tough, and we are all struggling together. So, reward yourself when you do well. Get a cookie. Eat some ice cream. Positive reinforcement works, even on yourself.

Brown 2021 from Venice, CA. I like music, writing, reading, and art in general. https://cecejane.wixsite.com/cecejane http://cecesdigitalart.tumblr.com/
Caleigh is the Co-Campus Correspondent of the Brown University chapter of Her Campus. She is in the class of 2021 studying History and French. She has previously held an internship position at Latina Magazine and worked as a social media editor for the Brown Daily Herald. She currently works as a digital marketing consultant for SiO Beauty. Caleigh grew up in New York City, where in her free time she explored neighborhoods looking for the best sushi and pizza, sharing her experiences through her food Instagram @food_overdudes.